Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, we do sell pork, lamb and chicken. While that may not pay for all the expenses, it sure knocks a hole in it and cuts the cost of what we eat way down. Raising a garden has some costs, but not a lot. We sell a few vegetables so what we eat is free. Hogs we actually make money on. We pick wild plums in the spring for jelly, but this year I just canned the juice. I mixed a can of pineapple juice with a quart of tart plum juice for a refreshing drink.

FEM you already know all of this. It still takes an income to be able to live. You can’t put a chicken in the gas tank, nor can you pay property tax or insurance with eggs. LOL But having a source of meat, eggs, vegetables and in your case, milk, sure knocks a hole in the grocery bill. Cultivating steady customers for what you produce puts money in your pocket.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've had folks express an interest in buying chickens that we raise. They want us to raise and butcher and they get the 'no muss, no fuss' version of home raised meat. But, I'm not comfortable with that. If they want to come out on butchering day and pitch in - I might be ok with it.

@baymule - how much do you sell pork for? I could probably sell by hanging weight. It wouldn't be much cuz my guys are little - but it's sure good pork.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Weekend is almost over...:( I've been working on the breezeway room for a couple of days now. It needed a re-organization. It was the room that mom and dad stayed in while they were here. I had done a lot in there after we moved them to assisted living. That was the first round of returning it from a makeshift bedroom back to a storage area - but it needed some fine tuning and I just hadn't done it. But it's so wet and nasty outside that I decided it was a good time to work inside.

The biggest part of that was done yesterday and I finished the rest of it today. Also came up with the bright idea to have the room re-modeled(ish). I want to tear up the carpet tiles and have real tile laid. Then I'll get some different/new shelving and cabinets for there. There is one wall of nice shelves but the rest of the storage is rather hodge-podge. I have ideas of turning that room into a 'butler's pantry' to keep all the over-flow kitchen 'stuff' that I don't really have room for in my small kitchen.

My biggest concern with that is that I will likely have to get someone to come in and do it while I'm at work. I don't really like that idea unless it's someone that I know pretty well. I've got some names of some folks that are well-known to friends and the community in general, so I may go that route. But, as usual, I don't move fast. It's in the "thinking about it" and "planning" stage right now.

Sat down way too long and watched the Texans game. After it went into overtime I decided I really didn't have any more spare time so I went outside and started feeding. Came back inside and they had WON the game - yay!

Me and this diet thing are butting heads! I gave myself a break Friday when I was home. Didn't really 'blow' it but indulged in an extra glass of wine and some grapes after dinner. Managed to still lose about half a lb...but that's not enough! I was really good yesterday and so far today. We're having reverse sear steak and shrimp for dinner! Yum - no carbs! And, bonus, there'll be enough to take to work for lunch tomorrow too. Haven't decided on a veggie yet, but I'm craving sauerkraut....go figger. Not exactly a standard side dish for steak and shrimp, lol. May or may not indulge.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I sell pork for $4 a pound. I have 1 chicken customer LOL and I sell chicken, cut up and packaged for $5 a pound.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
People here sell pork for $2 on the hoof or $5 cut and wrapped, no idea what hanging weight price would be (I've seen anywhere from $2-3.50 hanging weight on my guinea hog FB group, not sure about who's in Texas ). We sell whole chicken for $4/lb

Sounds like another big project for you! Sheesh!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Big project for you, but it would be lovely once it's done.

Years ago I raised and butchered pigs for selling the meat mostly, though we ate some of it as well. It was fairly profitable for me. I can't give you figures as it was in S.A. and years ago, but it was well worth it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry - this is your fair warning that this post is nothing but whiney! Not even wine-y cuz I've cut consumption and the associated calories and carbs to a bare minimum. Maybe that's why I'm whiney????

Ok - I've decided that the mud is not the worst side effect of all this rain. It's rats, people. It's rats. I see a never ending parade of rats in the barn, and last night I went out to the garage to feed the birds in the brooder and saw FOUR rats scarfing up the uber expensive game bird feed. ARGH!! My neighbors say they are having problems too.
For the last week I've been tossing out Tom Cat bait chunks in the feed/milk room of the little barn. Every single morning, every chunk is missing. I keep tossing it out and they keep taking it - when will this END? I mean - I'm glad they're taking it, but for every rat that dies two come to replace 'em. So NASTY!

And, the mosquitos.....OH MY GOSH! You dare NOT open your mouth outside or they will fly in. I tasted two this morning....breakfast of champions? I let poor Gracie and Maddie sleep inside the (freshly cleaned) breezeway last night cuz they were just covered. I've got Maddie up in the back yard right now cuz Cowboy is a selfish butthead and won't let her eat. She's lost weight so she's getting some much needed love and attention right now. This weekend I need to work on her coat - she's got some mud lumps clumped on her back legs...poor baby!

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ugh rats! Will Gracie kill them if you let her in the barn? We had quite the rat problem a few years ago, DH shot a bunch of them and we've rarely seen much activity since. Mostly mice now, which I can kinda live with. Dang things are smart, and fast!