Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Whew - got up at 5:30 this morning and was standing out in the cold handing out ice water to runners by 6:30. Geeze Louise! We were required to be out there until 9am, but I promise you we were packed up and loaded and driving away by 9:01! Back at the college now where the students will receive instruction until 1. We are giving them a well deserved fajita lunch (instead of the usual pizza) for all the freezing they endured this morning. I'm hoping the rain will hold off this afternoon so I can get something done when I get home later.

I need to get some fresh hay out for the baby piggies...I had their area bedded pretty deeply but hay has a way of disappearing around pigs, lol. They need a new batch to hunker down in tonight. Gonna get colder and colder all week with a possible freeze mid-week. Guess winter really is gonna be here for awhile now.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Well, winter seem to have backed off us for now. After all the rain we had a glorious sunny day and 52F. Wonderful after all that rain I can tell you!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What is this "sunshine" of which you speak?
It's that stuff that I haven't seen for weeks! I had ice on top of the water buckets this morning. It was cold this morning, but the sun came out and it was still cold, but NOT RAINING! We pulled lots of Mule loads of weeds, most of which were the wild cucumber vines that ate the garden. I hate those things.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've gotta butcher something tomorrow. Came home and fed after working today and just couldn't make myself stay outside in the cold anymore. Tomorrow I've gotta get some things done!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm tired - I worked my ass off today. I had to hang some fresh tarps offa the hoop house that the bucks and pigs share (with a divider in the middle). Supposed to get cold tomorrow night. And yay for more rain today.

The baby pigs are getting soooo fat!! They're cute. The minute I put fresh hay in their area they jump in the middle of it. They play, and play and then they burrow right down to the bottom of it to take a nap. I love pigs!

I had to move a round bale so I can start using it. I've got to hand feed hay this year because I don't have enough to free feed as per usual in years past. If I let them free feed on it they'll waste a bunch and there's not enough to allow that. Had to fire up the tractor to do that. I love my tractor...so nice to have something big, and strong, and mechanical to help with some of the hard work around here.

The rain has been so bad, and the mud is so deep that I really have a hard time getting to some places. The mud is literally almost over the top of my boots so I had to spend a few hours trying to build "walkways" through, over and around the mud so I can feed without getting stuck in the mud. It's to the dangerous point. If I fall it's not going to be pretty. I'm sick of this..

And - the only thing I butchered today was DH...