Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know! ;) I caught a big one a couple years ago and took him for a ride. That's my good neighbor - he's about 6'4".
View attachment 6708

I don't mind a snake in the barn if they eat mice and rats. Once they start eating eggs they get an eviction notice for sure. Generally, the only snakes I kill are the venomous variety.

The snake pictured is probably the baby's mama, lol!

Long chicken

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It sure was! He was up inside a dog crate and I had a heck of a time getting him out. Didn't see any big ones like that this year - thank goodness!

Yep be thankful... I had to deal with a big ole copperhead coiled up on top of my motor of my truck this year.
102_6361-jpg.8484

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yikes! I was bitten by a copperhead when I was a teenager...they're nothing to mess with for sure!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We went to DS's to watch the Texans WHOOP the Washington Redskins! YaY - goooo Texans!

I wormed a couple goats yesterday and while I was out there amongst goats and pigs I was adopted by one of the barrows. That pig would NOT leave my side. Every time I took a step - he took a step. Every time I stopped - he rubbed his nasty, muddy nose all over my leg. If I scratched his tummy he'd roll over nd lay his head on my boot. He's still gonna get eaten, lol, but it'll be awhile...like he'll almost be the last one EVER harvested.

Tomorrow is grandson's b'day! He'll be 12 - so hard to believe. Wow - they grow up so stinkin' fast. AND, they are coming for T'giving! I'm so excited...five more people in da house!

If DD and her DH are up to it we'll butcher one of the boars on Friday. I hope we can make it work between doing some cooking for our Saturday T'giving dinner. Who knows...? But it's on the 'tentative' list.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Charlotte is like that too, it's so cute!

Any idea how many goats you'll have kidding next year?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pigs are pretty stinkin' smart lol!

Took a little jaunt through the garden area yesterday...the one that I moved the boars out of. Went to check on the broccoli and cabbage plants that I have in tubs out there. Nada. Nothing. All the plants have been disappeared. Chickens got 'em I guess...:( Color me ANNOYED!

Any idea how many goats you'll have kidding next year?
I have absolutely NO idea! Conan is still running with the girls. I had a thought yesterday that I might want to bring him in and let the big Kinder buck out. Not sure that Conan has been able to reach the taller does. Need to probably get that done fairly soon so that I don't have babies coming in the summer. We'll already be into April deliveries now so perhaps within the next two weeks I need to take any/all bucks away from the girls. But, I do like the idea of the deliveries being spread out some so that I can have milk all year. I'm in a milk drought right now and I do not like it!

I'm going to have to be very strict with who/what does/kids get retained in the spring. I kinda hate the idea, but it seems that the Nubians are the ones that have the most parasite problems. I like the milkability of them, but I don't like fighting this constant battle. Really hope the Kiko cross will impart parasite resistance while retaining the desirable milking traits.

I've also noticed that the original Nigi doe isn't settling. She delivered a dead baby last year that had obviously been dead awhile and just to make things better she retained her placenta for a bit longer than I'm comfortable with. I gave her oxytocin and she passed the placenta after that and I gave her antibiotics - but at this point I'm starting to worry about her ability to conceive again. She's a sweet goat, but I can't keep freeloaders anymore. By this time next year I need my numbers to be down.... Maybe she'll taste good?

I'm really anxious to see what the Kiko cross does for parasite resistance. I'm sick to death of fighting these battles. I'm really pleased that Conan is almost a year ago and he's only been wormed once in his life. Eye membranes are still bright pink.

So - I'm off today and it's raining....figures huh? That's ok, I'll be working inside getting ready for guests. The two extra bedrooms upstairs only get opened up pretty much when we have overnighters. Gotta get in there and do things like change bedding, dust and freshen up those rooms. The kiddos room gets used as an overflow 'stuff' room so I need to 'unstuff' it. They will be using DH's bathroom so I've really got to get in there and make it guest ready. I mean... a guy has been using it exclusively for awhile and I do NOT even go in there...:confused: :sick :eek: so I'm expecting this to be an ordeal... :(

Gotta get busy...