Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maybe "Pia" is a "Mia". Agree Chester needs a wife. They do make adorable kids and YES-- they will be good sales because they are little, colorful and well, Chester & Pia/Mia need to have a good life there with you. :idunno Settled!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So, what's a good breed for not being terribly noisy, less likely to be poorly behaved, and a decent milker? Just asking, for the sake of conversation. You understand????????????

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Just for the sake of conversation, of course. ;)
That is the million dollar question! A lot of people say Nubians are noisy - mine aren't any noisier than any of my other breeds. Nigerians would be most people's pick - small, easy to handle and decent milkers. However, I've had pygmies that milked as good as a Nigi. Just have to get the right one. Mini Nubians are a cross of Nigerian Dwarf and Nubian.

But, I think my all time favorite breed is a Kinder. It's a cross between Pygmy and Nubian. They're medium-ish size. Most of mine will milk almost as much as their Nubian mother. I like 'em!

Ask any goat person that same question - and you'll get as many answers as there are goat breeds and goat mutts. :)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like mini breeds, cross between a Nigerian and a full size goat. Though I don't have many left, I have mini alpines and I love them. Smaller than a full size, more milk than a Nigerian.

Everyone who I've talked to that has saanens loves them. They're big, but supposedly very gentle and friendly and give tons of milk.

And yes we are enablers! Lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sigh..... my poor DH. He actually went outside last night and did some cold weather preps. I was thrilled - he hasn't been out to the barnyard in months! I let him do his thing and thanked him profusely.

He didn't finish up until after dark. I guess that's why I didn't notice. For whatever reason I never even looked at it this morning. This afternoon when I went to hook up the hose again and water the critters, I disassembled and threw away all his hard work.

In past years we have used the black foam tubes, like a pool noodle, that you put over the pipe and then wrapped it with duct tape. Goats never bothered it. But he used fiberglass insulation. FIBERGLASS(!) that was loose and only wrapped haphazardly with a bit of tape here and there. I just don't get it. SMH...

But, lest I sound ungrateful - I appreciate that he tried.

Latest posts