Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Egads---darned dentist! Sooo sorry and so glad it isn't me.:hide

My gal & her 3 kids are at 10dys. I want to begin some milking, and she has PLENTY! Not that 3 don't drink but, she's a huge milk maker and I want to keep that going -- only about a qt each day for house use. She gives about 1.5gal a day. Mine are nibbling at hay, smelling the grain and eating some of the fresh new grasses as they mimic mom. :love

2 more does should kid in the near future, so I will have the shuffling duties as you. It is not fun. Alternative -- pull them at birth & milk, then bottle feed all. Now THAT sounds like a lot more work! Mainly, not always time and the kids can help me with chores if I co-parent :D

SOON -- I hate to rub it in -- DH will be home & retired. Maybe he can help with the daily goat moves? I'd be making a list of things he "can do" and ease him into it. :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Alternative -- pull them at birth & milk, then bottle feed all. Now THAT sounds like a lot more work!
Oh, HE11 to the NOOOOOO! I hate bottle feeding with a passion. Babies are ungrateful, whiney, pushy and obnoxious little creatures! I could go the rest of my life happy if I never had to bottle feed again. There - I said it.

It will be the first thing I teach DH to do. :weee He'll at least take the mid-day feeding and I won't have to drive home every day at lunch to feed the little ingrates. Did I mention that I hate bottle feeding?

Had a scare today when I went home. I couldn't find Dallas anywhere and Noir's bag was tight. I saw Dallas laying around yesterday with the tiniest little tic going on. Her head would just twitch a little every other second or so and her eyes were looking kinda spacey. It scared me - but I went to her and she hopped up, went over to the feeder and started chowing down on grain so I assumed she was ok. Not finding her at lunch sent me into a pure panic! I looked everywhere for her and finally found her inside a crate behind the barn. She hopped right up when she saw me - but I'm not convinced she doesn't have a little something-something going on. That hard birth might have done a little damage somewhere? I dunno - but of course she's my favorite so I've gotta keep a close eye on her. Honestly, I kinda think she might just be a little 'slow.'

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know - poor girl. I remember telling my vet once that I thought one of my babies was a bit "off" and he said not to worry about it - it's not like they have to grow up to be brain surgeons, lol. I love that man!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Smart goats are a major PIA! And, it seems like most of my Kinders are high on the intelligence scale.