Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's hard to sell them, but you have to think of what would be best for you and the herd long term :hugs

That's the hardest part. These dairy gals have an attachment due to our milking them. Unless they are a real ">itch" on the stand, you just form a bond...they have a personality. Now, I can shooo the boys along but, many of my does -- hard. Have a few that can go! But only say, 2 of 8. Yeah it's emotional.

BUT -- that 25% reduction.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you have a goal for how many you want to get down to FEM? It is hard, much easier keeping low numbers than trying to get down to them. But the relief at the feed store is real! Goats aren't exactly cheap to keep... heck, what livestock is?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@tortoise - that would be the perfect scenario - not likely to EVER happen around here, lol.

@NH Homesteader - I would like to think I could get down to 10 - 12 permanent keepers (at least for awhile) but with babies coming I'd have to do the goat shuffle every year too. I dunno...I'd just like to get to a point where they don't demand all my money and all my time. Is that even possible?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'd just like to get to a point where they don't demand all my money and all my time. Is that even possible?

How about just "less" time & $$? That can happen :D
The weather this year has added tremendously to expense & time -- mud, deworm, more hay, wasted hay, mud, deworm...yep wash & repeat! :(

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Going to start the goat shuffle tonight or tomorrow. We may have possible storms Saturday so everything will be dependent on the weather. Going to put Emily on the other side of the red barn away from the general population because she will be due, hopefully, soon. She looks like she's dropped but ligs are still tight. Her udder is growing, but not blown up at all. I found a note in my old phone that said Conan was chasing her in November - so she's got to be getting close if she took at that time. Who knows?

I really thought that Red and Snippet were gonna slip through without kidding this year - but after taking a good look at Red's udder I think I see some changes. Not filled out at all - but not as shrunken as it was if that makes sense. Was really kinda hoping that Emily would be the caboose on the kidding train. time will tell I guess...