Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
All my life - decade upon decade - I've never had a reaction. I don't even know what the live plant looks like - except for Googling it. Working in the pasture I've never even encountered it because goats love it - and eat it - and basically eradicate it. But, I guess with those vines being so high maybe goats couldn't reach 'em. It's crazy - I never even thought about it. Guaranteed I will from now on!

please don't burn it (and breath the smoke!).
That one I know not to do. When my DS was young - maybe 5 - we were at the deer lease and started a campfire. Basically we were burning an old stump. My son breathed the smoke and walked through it. It was awful. We ended up at a little podunk hospital in the little podunk town we were in. His eyes were swollen closed and he was put on steroids and breathing treatments for his lungs. Scary times!

Hopefully, I won't have to deal with it again.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Guess getting old has lots of surprises!

:lol: :lol: Just wait!! :old

That's a tangled mess in that picture! I've cleared a few patches of similar -- thanks goats! This is where the Nubians height is a benefit LOL. I've waited for them to clear the lower area so I could see to cut the vines. Those things are hell to get off the fence when dead -- hard as rock! I've also used a flame thrower on some honeysuckle & a machete & anything else in my hands!

Right now, I have one fence line that is a forest. Sadly, almost 200'....Will be goat pasture in a couple months!! I need workers. LOL So heavy that it bends your fence!!!! As you know.!

Hope the itchies leave soon. If Ivy, normally blisters come along.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can dry it up with a weak bleach solution. Wet the area and let it dry. You may have to apply several times. Even with my chemical issues, I will use the Clorox. Pour a couple of cups in the tub and soak or apply directly on the affected areas. That stuff is beyond miserable.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been keeping baking soda paste on it today and it's drying up pretty well. I've heard about using bleach - just haven't tried it - yet.

A bit frustrated today. Got the Brinsea Incubator out of the garage and gave it a quick wipe down in preps for starting some quail eggs. Plugged it in to let it stabilize and checked the temp after about 45 minutes. Holy crap - it's at 117 degrees! Me thinks that's just a bit too warm for quail eggs - or any eggs for that matter! I get on the Brinsea site and start looking for replacement thermostats. Nope. Got on ebay and found a new motherboard (if that's what it's called) and it's 97 bucks and nearly 30 for shipping... uh no. Got back on the Brinsea site and they've got a scratch and dent model for $144.99 or a new one for $189 - (marked down from $209) OR another model scratch and dent that's a lesser model but holds more eggs for $149.00. Decisions, decisions. So, what's a gal to do? I grabbed my trusty old Styrofoam model outta the garage and fired it up. I just checked the temp and it looks like it's right on the dot. That's using a 99cent thermometer...I'm going to take my digital one out and and see if it reads the same. :fl

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Eggs are in the incubator. For some reason I'm not really optimistic. I dunno why. Maybe its because I've never seen this male quail do his thing. The quail I've raised previously have no shame. They would do the deed in front of me all the time. This guy....must be shy. Just hope I can get a bit of a hatch.