Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks @FarmerJamie - I'm going to file that away for future reference. I was surprised that I've heard of that. And, I heard of it on Naked and Afraid, lol. I've seen it used for fire starting and for water purification. So, I'm not surprised that it has expanded uses. I need to check into some allergy shots. I can't see myself surviving another round of this!

I'm finally on the downhill side of this Poison Ivy induced hell on earth! I've gotta say that, for me, one of the best things I found was Ibuprofen during the day. A minimum of 600 milligrams (800 was better) reduced the inflammation, stopped the burn and really eased the symptoms. Two Benadryl at night completed my drug regimen.

I've still got bright red, leathery, raised patches of skin - but most of the oozing is going away and it's drying up nicely. Just 10 days of pure agony!

@baymule - we love the eggs. I swear if I can get these little critters going again - who needs chickens?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thought I was winning this battle but last night I had new blisters come up in several different areas. Crazy - because the first ones I got are healing - and I'm still getting new ones? ARGH!

Gave in and gave up and went to doc this morning. Just so tired of this! Went in and got a steroid shot and a step-down pack of oral steroids to go with. Also was told that based on the rash pattern this is likely poison sumac and not oak or ivy. Grrrrrrr…. I don't care whatcha call it - I wanna call it GONE!

Ok - need to get my seed starting area set up, go through some seeds, and get a couple things started! YaY!

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just realized that you are almost one entire week into OFFICIAL RETIREMENT --- wanted you to realize this milestone.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
WooHOO!!!!! And, just to be really sure - I drove through the parking lot of the college today just to see how it felt to not pull into my parking spot and go to my office. It wasn't hard at all!

I saw a friend/co-worker who told me in no uncertain terms to "go away- don't let them see you or they'll try to drag you back in!" Over my dead body, lol!

The college is right across the street from MIL's apt and there is a dedicated street that runs on the edge of the college's parking lot and directly to the entrance to her apts., so I take it a lot. I told DH that really made me feel retired to see the cars of all the poor folks who are still 8 - 5'ing it. Your turn is coming - get ready!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Going to meet my big bro at the tax office today to try to untangle the mess of transferring the title of dad's truck to brothers name. It is a big mess since the title was lost in the flood and both mom are dead aren't here to verify anything. We have to go together so I can sign off that I don't want the truck and that bro is welcome to it.

And, now I'm back from the marathon paperwork saga at the tax office. It was a solid hour of filling out form after form. Had to do all forms twice because the truck was in both mom and dads name...sigh. But, it's done!

Started some seeds yesterday - still working on more today. Have a kitchen counter full of washed lemons waiting to be juiced. Guess I'll get on that later. Really tired of looking at lemons - but blessed to have them.

Time to start thinking about digging out the barn and moving the black gold up to the garden area. Probably start on the raised beds and the big tubs that I plant in. The in-ground garden has had chickens, pigs and goats wandering around on it for months now. It shouldn't need a lot of amendments.

Spent half the darn day in town - need to get busy!

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ever make candied lemon rind? If you are cutting the lemons in half to juice, just cut the halves in half and try to peel the lemon away from the peeling. Simmer until soft. Cool and use a spoon to scrape away the white interior. Simmer in sugar syrup, drain, roll in sugar and dry on wax paper.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule I haven't done it like that. I did dry pack some thin slices of lemon in a container of sugar. It dried out the slices and preserved them and flavored the sugar! YUM. I may have to try what you suggested - it sounds really good!

I brought a big garden cart full of barn gold up to the front area yesterday - but haven't emptied it. That's on the agenda today. I've got a couple of the raised beds cleaned out and wanted to get some greens planted but we're supposed to have rain and/or storms for the next few days and I don't want those delicate seeds washed away. Might hold off planting until Sunday. Still waiting for my microgreen seeds to come in....hopefully today...most likely tomorrow. I'm chomping at the bit to get some more things growing.

DH juiced some lemons for me and I've got a bit over a gallon to get canned this morning. Yay - more juice.....

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Obviously this is a bumper crop for those lemons.....working you hard! But, you said nada last year. So, do these trees tend to bear or not as a norm? I know some fruits do similar in a predictable manner. Don't grow those here but, they sure look good.

When I had property in FL there was a nice avocado tree by our office site. Our mgr had several orange and grapefruit trees at his house, so we enjoyed tree ripened. Not something you find in the stores and so different!

Here in VA we have apples!! Yummy ones. I'm hoping the weather doesn't make my plum tree bloom early and lose all to bad weather -- as in past 2 yrears! Grrrr. My 2 apple trees are young but last year I got a few fruits from each. That's several years to a decent harvest. Right now, after canning, I don't even want to see another apple!!!!