Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
for strawberries pill bugs only eat damaged fruits. so something else is going on there.
I didn't know that - thanks for the info!

We have slugs, snails, fire ants and the occasional chicken drive by too. I get so annoyed because berries grow well here - but something always nabs 'em before I do. :(

Crawfish better not try to get them around here cuz the revenge would not be good! Nothing tastier than a big ol' batch of spicy mudbugs!

In keeping with a healthy diet plan for this year we had salad topped with some salmon for dinner. Yum! (what's for dessert?)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I didn't know that - thanks for the info!

We have slugs, snails, fire ants and the occasional chicken drive by too. I get so annoyed because berries grow well here - but something always nabs 'em before I do. :(

Crawfish better not try to get them around here cuz the revenge would not be good! Nothing tastier than a big ol' batch of spicy mudbugs!

In keeping with a healthy diet plan for this year we had salad topped with some salmon for dinner. Yum! (what's for dessert?)

snails we don't have many of here so since you don't mention any other obvious critters i'd vote them off the island (unless it's the cluckies). slugs we do have some of, but i've not had them get out of hand. we have gravel pathways so there is a deterrent for any of them to wander around the gardens. we do have frogs/toads/snakes which will eat snails, slugs and worms. we also encourage the birds to visit the gardens (i'm ok with them eating some of the berries and they do peck at some of them here or there but one of us is out in the gardens often enough that they're not easily settling in or a whole flock of them...) hmm... chickens. nope we don't have them at all around our place. possible need to watch them for a while to make sure they're not the main culprits IMO.

dessert here today was some lemon cake. way too easy to eat. Mom's recipe starts with a lemon cake mix and then she adds extra lemon pudding mix and lemon juice and then tops it with lemon icing. i could eat a whole one (pie tin full). i especially like the crunchy and well sugared edges. i'm not really reading this as i go because that would make me want to go eat the other half of the pie tin right now. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep - the pic of my arm was a Poison Sumac area...the baddest of the bad. That's also what covered most of my torso....:( The poison ivy areas were contained mostly to a smaller linear area. Still have some residual areas that are just annoying - but nothing like it was!

Today I'm going to get microgreens started. I got the growing trays ready last night so I'm going to give this a go. Also ordered some new brooder lights "justincase" I get some baby quail in about a week. The brooder has two lights in it - but one is blown out. It'll work on one but I need extras anyway.

We got a lot of thunder and lightening last night and a decent rain (which we didn't need). Didn't hit until around midnight. I haven't walked the property yet - but from first glace it doesn't look like we've got any real damage. Thrilled about that - it definitely could have been worse. Still windy this morning and some lingering overcast skies but supposed to clear out soon.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Please keep us posted on your microgreens!
Will do. I got radishes and broccoli planted today. Peas and popcorn seed are soaking overnight. Not really sure what went into my selection of popcorn, lol. I think it was because it was an ingredient on an episode of Chopped recently and I was fascinated. We'll see how that works out! I guess if it's not good I can just pop the popcorn.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is the system that keeps on giving....argh! It was a big system and I'm glad it's moved on. Stay safe!

Yep - it's "giving" to me right now! Windy, rains...don't need either They say we'll be seeing the rains for next 3-4 days. Geesh….. it isn't good when you are home and have work to do outside!