Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This will just be an overnight trip so I'll have the neighbors take a peek Friday afternoon to see that everything is ok. They can do that without ever opening a gate and coming on our property. I'll feed the morning before we leave and again when we get home. And, we have auto waterers for all the pens. Critters will hardly even know we're gone!

If we're ever gone more than a day or so I'll train the kiddo next door to do the basics and I'll have it set up where she will feed everything through the fence so she won't ever be in danger of getting stepped on or pushed around by the critters. The dogs will have feeders.

We left for five days (a few years back) and had everybody set up on feeders, (a deer feeder is great for chickens, lol) round bales out and auto waterers. The neighbors would take a peek to make sure everybody was where they belonged and that the waterers were working. Pretty much no fuss - no muss. I always leave the vets number with them too - "justincase." I gave our vet a courtesy call before we went to let him know we were leaving and to use his judgment if anything serious happened to any critter.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our dogs are so spoiled that automatic feeders wouldn't work for them-they want their home canned chicken and broth in their kibble or they turn up their noses at it and won't eat. Then ants get in the food and the dogs REALLY won't eat it then!

We'll be gone overnight and our neighbor and friend Robert is coming over to take care of things for us. Going to my sister's in Conroe.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We had a neighbor feed our dog once - we were gone for 4 days. He knew our dog fairly well so we figured it would be OK.The first day he went through the gate, walked around the house and into the porch where the food and water was- that was also where the dog slept. He even talked to the dog while he walked through the dog yard. He opened the food bin to feed the dog and heard a sound ... he glanced over his shoulder and the dogs head was sticking through the dog door and all he saw was teeth! Our sweet pooch was snarling and growling! The neighbor quickly filled the bowl as full as he could and went to leave. He had to walk with his back pressed up against the house to keep the dog from circling behind him and biting him. Talking to the dog the whole while, "hey buddy, don't you remember me? It's Tim. Remember, we went bird hunting? Wasn't that fun?"
That was the dog that found the baby bunny nest and made me come and look. I never saw any aggression from him, ever. He would whine when the cats would eat from his dish, but he would stand back and let them do it.
No clue as to why he suddenly turned Cujo on the neighbor when we were gone.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Because he KNEW you were not home!

Recently went to pick up some chickens, the dog there made a fuss and was put inside for me to enter fenced area. Guy says, he's usually wanting to lick you to death but, last week or two he's been different. Don't know why. Then, wife and new baby comes out -- I said, there's why -- new baby to protect. He says, you know, that's about the time this started. :love Hadn't given it a thought. They also have a 3yr old. Dogs sense things that we may not immediately see.

GOOD DOG.

So, in just a very few days, FEM will have "puppy breath" and puddles again! At least your home now to do the training more easily.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Let the fun begin! Belle has begrudgingly accepted the role of BIG sister.
5C366CC1-1F50-4EA4-82BC-8D013BBE03D5.jpeg

A74EE8E4-F292-4FBB-959B-715483679ABA.jpeg

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We had a neighbor feed our dog once - we were gone for 4 days. He knew our dog fairly well so we figured it would be OK.The first day he went through the gate, walked around the house and into the porch where the food and water was- that was also where the dog slept. He even talked to the dog while he walked through the dog yard. He opened the food bin to feed the dog and heard a sound ... he glanced over his shoulder and the dogs head was sticking through the dog door and all he saw was teeth! Our sweet pooch was snarling and growling! The neighbor quickly filled the bowl as full as he could and went to leave. He had to walk with his back pressed up against the house to keep the dog from circling behind him and biting him. Talking to the dog the whole while, "hey buddy, don't you remember me? It's Tim. Remember, we went bird hunting? Wasn't that fun?"
That was the dog that found the baby bunny nest and made me come and look. I never saw any aggression from him, ever. He would whine when the cats would eat from his dish, but he would stand back and let them do it.

maybe because you weren't there and so it wasn't sure what was going on. maybe also the idea that he was stealing "The Food! MY FOOD!?" or such? anyways, next time perhaps for a few days before you'd want to make sure whoever is doing it comes with you and does it themself when you are there "supervising" kinda like passing the baton...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Belle has begrudgingly accepted the role of BIG sister

OMG the look on her face! :lol:

"I can't believe you did this AND you want me to do WHAT?? Surely you are joking???????????"

FEM. you are in big trouble. And that little rascal is oblivious to it all because he obviously thinks "it's all about ME!"

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love Belle's face!! We are both laughing at the look on her face. She is hilarious!

Adorable puppy! Makes me want a puppy--almost!
I have enough dogs.
I have enough dogs.
I have enough dogs.
I have enough dogs.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts