Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ya'll are killin me, lol! No wait - it's those stinking hay bales that are killin' me...argh. I'm 2/3rds finished with that chore. Just one more to go but needed hydration. We've just hit 70 degrees with bright sunshine. I have on a pair of sweatpants (because it was chilly this morning) and a t-shirt and I've gotta shed those pants and find a pair of shorts. I had the heater on this morning and now I've got all the windows thrown open. Crazy, indecisive weather.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay nice weather!

I've heard that some folks actually buy new implements when the old ones break. I'm cheap - I don't want to spend money on one when/if this one can be repaired....maybe. You know...reduce, reuse, recycle and repair or something like that. If my son or neighbor can't fix it - I'll eventually spring for another one.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Geeze Louise! Crazy busy day! Got all the bales unloaded and tucked away. In between the second and third bale two more kids were born. Two doelings! Yippee!! Called the hay guy and going back for 3 more bales tomorrow. That should take care of my hay anxiety!

I've been stressing a little bit because my plan for a while now has been to cut the herd in order to cut the feed bill. Why did it take me this long to figure out a way to do this and still fulfill my goat addiction? I'll reduce/eliminate the herd of PIGS!!! I looked at the feed receipt and I could slash the heck out of it without buying all that pig feed. I'm also going to butcher more quail and maybe a couple roos. Might just sell the roo's - not sure yet. I've got lots of buyers that'll take any extras.

The man I bought the hay from says he knows folks who will buy duck eggs. As soon as they start laying, I'll start offering some for sale.

See how easy that was! :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Girl! The herd has been cut already! Considering that I was at 30+ Not too long ago and I was down to 15 (for a few minutes) on Thursday, I think I’ve made some progress, lol. This is not a simple process ya know! 😩

I’m gonna be like the Texans and have a re-building year (or three)!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't talk...... was going to move with 10 ewes and Ringo. Well, that lasted until the water got hot. I wound up with 3 lovely ewe lambs, of course I want to keep them. Some extras snuck in there and the numbers climbed to 16. How did that happen??? :idunno:idunno But-but-but redemption!!! I'm giving 2 bred ewes to the buyers of the farm, that drops me down to only 14 ewes and 3 of those are only a month old, so that really equals not even a whole sheep---more like half a sheep. So I've got my numbers down to 11 1/2. One more ewe to lamb, Frimplepants. She is a granddaughter of Ewenique, who seldom has a ewe lamb. I kept Frimplepants mother, even though she wasn't that great of a ewe for that reason. Frimplepants was better quality, so I kept her, sold her mom. Now waiting to see what she has. If one is a ewe.......we all know what direction that is going..... One of those fractional ewe lambs belongs to Ewenique, a keeper!

And I'm selling 8 acres, moving to 2 acres and looking for MORE acres....... I'm seriously afflicted. If I get enough acres (is there ever such a thing?) I may even be interested in some of those MyPyKinKo goats that I've heard about.....:th

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Getting the Myotonics definitely changed the dynamics of my breeding plans. I'll have to basically have two breeding herds for at least one season. But, they should put some heavier muscling into the mix and they are also supposed to have good parasite resistance. Hope so!

This is the sire to one of the bucklings I bought:
1642167002350.png

That's a whole lot of goat on those little stumpy legs, lol!

Latest posts