Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just bought a new car. Searched ALL OVER from Nacogdoches to Houston. Pictures of cars, already sold. A gray spot with coming soon! and no car. I was going to Corpus Christi to see the granddaughters and DD found me one in Victoria. One. And it is black. Have I ever expounded on how much I hate black cars? It is a Hyundai Accent, just a used-to-be-cheap-now-it's-not, little car.

Driving the diesel truck has been financially killing me! I've been paying for a new car and not driving one! And they upcharged me for TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS! Why? Because they can. They slapped on all kinds of crap and I balked. Made them take a bunch of it off and squabbled over the upcharge. They finally got it down and to the payment I wanted, and NOT stretched out for the rest of my lifetime.

The only complaint I have is there is no arm rest between the front seats. I'll stuff a pillow there. If I had to ride in the back seat, I'd probably hate it, but I'm the driver, it's mine and I don't care. LOL It gets 30 MPG in town and 40 MPG highway.

And get this, the salesman offered to deliver it to Corpus Christi and I said I'd rather them deliver it to Groveton........Where's that? ....... In Trinity County....... Never heard of that either, have you? Finally I said between Lufkin and Crockett and he knew where Lufkin was. So they delivered it Friday. Hahaha, salesman had NO idea how far that was!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's crazy out there in car buying HE//! We're probably going to just hang on to this car for awhile. The worst thing about buying a car right now - is that you really can't haggle. They've got ya over a barrel. If I ever paid full price for a car my daddy would be rolling in his grave - plus I would never be able to look myself in the eye again, lol.

The last car I bought - this very same Volvo - was the biggest adventure ever! Before it was all over I had the President of the dealership involved and the salesman asking me to please not call his boss again, lol. He shouldn't oughta have disrespected the "little (not) lady" who was trying to buy a crazy expensive car for her husband who had been in a terrible accident and had totaled his previous car.

Those were the days, lol!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The car/truck situation, new or used is scary!!! I shiver if either of mine cough!😲

The car was my mom's and NOT what I'd buy....really not at all fond of it. But paid for. Low mileage and 27 mpg on road. So it's getting a new set of tires real soon -- hope they aren't outpriced by end of month. :lol::lol::old

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So it's getting a new set of tires real soon
Yep - keep it going!

Mark's car has had several problems - most of them while it was under warranty,, thank goodness, lol. The engine is strong - really strong! The problems have been electronic and even with that it's never left him stranded. It's got over 100K miles so not terribly surprising that things wear out.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My little 96 ranger p.u. has over 220,000 odometer does not register over 99,000....gets 22-25 mpg.... my 2001 subaru outback just got a newer engine and has 230,000 on the odometer... just got 24 mpg on the trip to the farm to test that is 125 miles one way from me... 2000 subaru forester had 250,000 and got a brand new warranteed engine and a newer transmission...it gets 22-26 mpg.... I fixed and refurbished rather than take a chance with someone elses headaches about a year ago.... glad that I did now.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I fixed and refurbished rather than take a chance with someone elses headaches about a year ago.... glad that I did now.

I'm a big believer in repairing and keeping a car going. The worst thing about this particular car is that it's a European car. Volvo = safety and it has awesome safety features which were really high on our list when we bought it. However, it requires premium gas and parts/labor are crazy expensive. We are forced to get all work done at the dealership because all the other repair shops that I called don't have the computer equipment to work on it. If it weren't for those things we'd keep it forever (and we still might, lol) However - even a 3K repair is a whole lot less than 30K on a new car!

Hot, hot, hot! Trying to keep the garden watered - but not willing to burn out my well pump to do it. We had a horrible drought in 2011 and I watered and watered - then my pump went out. I'll give up a few vegetables to keep my water pump going. We're not at that point yet - so fingers crossed. Small percentage of rain in the forecast next week.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Incubator is cheeping this morning. I've got guinea fowl and Chocolate Silver Laced Orpington eggs in there - and the egg I found pipping in an abandoned nest yesterday. One of the CLSO eggs have hatched along with the mystery chick from the abandoned nest. The guinea fowl need to cook a bit longer.

Picked more okra this morning and a few more cukes. I need to get some okra in the dehydrator. I foresee some slicing in my future.

Trying to menu plan for next week. My grandson and one of his friends want to earn some money - so they're coming to my house for a few days for a myriad of money earning opportunities, lol. I see weed whacking, car detailing and some $h_t shoveling in their future. They asked for it! Only problem is that now - after weeks and weeks of no rain - we've got rain in the forecast for every day next week. I hope so - but I also hope they get a chance to do some outside work. If not - I wonder how they feel about housework? Maybe garage cleaning/sorting would be more to their liking? :idunno

All I know is that this is going to be an expensive week for me. Not only am I going to pay them for their work - I've gotta feed two teenage boys, lol!!

Latest posts