Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We just got a decent downpour here. Good long one. Surely needed it since we havent had rain in about 2 months.
I'm officially jealous! We had a little rain the first week of September, IIRC. Nothing since then until last night. Rain in the forecast again for Friday - hope they're right.

I'm going to try to get some stuff planted before then. Maybe toss out some more rye grass seed while I'm at it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Soooooo - I've heard it said that bad stuff happens in threes...

1. The pipe broke (that I managed to fix ALL BY MYSELF!)

2. Yesterday the alarm on the septic pump started screaming at us. Tried the reset button. Kept screaming. Shut off the breaker. Opened the cover. Turned on air compressor and blew out all the dust that was in there. Looked at it with hands on hips. Shook head. Put the cover back on and turned breaker back on. Alarm resumed screaming. Shut off breaker again. DH called company. They were very kind and waived the service call because we were due for our quarterly inspection. (we pay $400 a year for the inspection service that is required by the county) Two diaphragms were busted (dry rotted?) and were replaced for a "small" fee of $275.

3. This morning the microwave bit the dust. This is not an old microwave. I'm guessing 3 -4 years. It's new enough that I remember how hard DH and I worked to install it and I will NEVER do that again. Microwave is mounted above the range. The glass top range. I don't know how we didn't drop the microwave on the stove and destroy both of them.

Shopping online for a new microwave this morning. Thinking maybe a convection/microwave combo. Anyone have one of those and if so - do you love it?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Shopping online for a new microwave this morning. Thinking maybe a convection/microwave combo. Anyone have one of those and if so - do you love it?
Sounds like a lot lately, yuck!

I do not have one of these, but will be interested to hear if anyone does as we will be looking in the near future (or I think we will as our microwave is over 20 years old) as well.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do not have one of these, but will be interested to hear if anyone does as we will be looking in the near future
I will let you know after it gets here. We ordered the replacement this morning. YaY! Probably good because I tried to warm up a biscuit this morning in the toaster oven....on a paper plate! Yikes!! Thankfully I caught my mistake before the oven even got hot - but dang! Its such a habit to stick something on a paper plate to warm up.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine is above the stove, but I like it, lol. At least I liked it when it worked. Doesn't take up counter space and it has a vent built in it as well as a light that shines down on the stove. If you want I can come place hands on your microwave - guaranteed to break down and need to be replaced shortly, lol. :hide

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No microwave here. Have a countertop convection/toaster oven type that I use alot for heating things up. I will put stuff in there on paper if it is not in there for over 10 minutes....
I like to use the big oven in the cooler/cold weather to help heat the house a bit, but the other is nice in the hot weather. Mine does have the attachment for a rotisserie,,, but my chickens are all too big to fit in it.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you want I can come place hands on your microwave - guaranteed to break down and need to be replaced shortly, lol. :hide
I refuse to use it, I hate it that much. I use mine that I brought with me. It will come down and I’ll have a nice vent a hood that doesn’t hang down over the stove. But you can come put hands on it anyway. I’ll fix you and your dearly beloved a nice lunch.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A little over 4 years ago when the previous microwave died - I was determined NOT to replace it. DH didn't agree, lol. I made it about 6 weeks before he went to HD and bought one all by himself, lol.

But, honestly, I think food tastes better cooked the old fashioned way. Maybe just my imagination, but in the last 24 hours, using the stove instead of the MW I have come to that conclusion again. :hu

Latest posts