Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Toltrazuril. You give it to kids at 3, 6, and 9 weeks. I get the 200ml (5%) its Cyber Monday and it's 30% off.

From cocci post, you said above ---
so I got mine delivered today. How much are you giving? Mixed with water? I see no instructions for but, could be overlooking....
🤷🥴

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You got yours already? Mine isn't here yet. :( but, that's ok, cuz my kids aren't here yet either, lol.

Dosage for prevention is 1cc per 5lbs of goat. No diluting - straight out of the bottle. Shake it up before drawing it up. Some folks go for a 4th dose at 12 weeks. I generally don't unless it's a really bad year. And, I sell a lot of kids at 10ish weeks. Pretty sure the dose for treatment is doubled.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Started out really foggy this morning. Yuck! DH is off to a doc appointment. Glad the fog isn't as thick as it was an hour ago!

Took a look at the fall garden plants yesterday and discovered that somebody stole a whole row of pea plants in the north garden! ARGH! Bitten off at ground level - that annoys the heck out of me! I see evidence of taste testing on some other plants also. My guess is rodents - YUCK! I did put some very special treats for them which have since disappeared from the garden too. Hope that puts an end to that!

Neighbor came by yesterday to bring us some pkgs that had been left at his house. Uh, delivery folks need to pay more attention to what they're doing. While he was here he showed us some pics he caught on his game cam. YIKES! With only a bit of field fence between us it was quite a surprise to see pics of a coyote and a bobcat. This is the same area that my animals formerly had access to. Thankful for LGD's!

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we had heavy fog here this morning too. makes it feel so much colder.

and wow on the pack of coyotes.

is a lone bobcat much of a threat to goats? (i wouldn't think it could be but i don't know)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
is a lone bobcat much of a threat to goats? (i wouldn't think it could be but i don't know)
Actually, I'm pretty sure I've lost two goats to a bobcat and had one injured by one. Some years back...maybe 10...the mamas and baby goats were all out in the pasture. One didn't come back up that evening. Poof! That baby was never to be seen again. I walked the entire pasture and never saw a trace of him. It was a pygmy baby, but not a newborn. Several months old.

Another time we had a doe killed within an interior pen with stock panel fences. My stock panel fences are taller than most because they have a 2 x 6 top and bottom. This doe was killed and eviscerated inside the front barnyard area which butts up to the backyard.

Another doe came in from a wooded part of the pasture one evening with her neck torn open and skin hanging down. She also had deep scratches on her belly. She lived but was hoarse for the rest of her life.

All of those happened within one year and pre-LGD's.

Last year my other neighbors were sitting on their back porch and saw a bobcat take one of their chickens. This was in daylight - late afternoon.

Having said all of that in reference to a bobcat - there has been the occasional cougar sighting within a few miles of here so..... who knows?

The coyote that was on the neighbor's game cam was by itself - not in a pack.

I'll be checking the batteries in my game cam and try to get it put up today.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woke up to rain this morning. (not yay) A bit over half an inch...so far. Had to rush outside and scoot the horses out of the back yard. They've been doing 'mower' duty for a couple of days. I planted rye grass in the yard also and it was in need of a trim. Bucks got to partake also.

The rye grass in the pasture is doing incredibly well. I let the critters out for short stints and it's holding up well. Cheapest feed around, lol.

After seeing predators right across the fence in the neighbors pasture I put out our game cam. It's been up for a couple of nights now and I've gotten one picture of a critter on my property after dark. Either an armadillo or a possum. It was at the far limits of the camera range and all I could really see was a small gray critter. Glad for that because I was seriously worried after seeing the bobcat and the coyote right across the fence. No wonder my dogs bark! Good dogs!

Fall garden is hanging in. Cabbage and broccoli are coming on, finally. Some time back I had planted some mangel beets and had basically given up on them. Nothing after what seemed like weeks. Noticed the other day that they had finally sprouted. Carrots germination was spotty. I've replanted the bare spots. Same with radishes. Onions/garlic look good. The peas that didn't get eaten by something small and furry are looking good too. Weird weather though - what else is new?. Cool (cold to this Texan, lol) weather in November - but hot in early December. We've had numerous days in the 80's. The rain today is ushering in some cooler weather now.

Guess since it's gross outside I need to work inside today. Ugh on that. I'd rather work my behind off outside than inside any day!

Latest posts