Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow, that's enough excitement for a week or two!!
It IS, isn't it? :)

Today has been quite boring so far and I'm ok with that.

I'm so proud of myself I could just spit, lol. We've had a rolling cart type thingy that was formerly used by MIL to take groceries from her car to her apt way back when. DH even used it when he started buying her groceries for her.

51Mu8n6Yn1L._AC_.jpg

I knocked one of the wheels off of it with the lawnmower recently - oops! DH took it out to sit by the road for trash or pickup by someone who might think they could repurpose it. Well, somebody DID decide to repurpose it. I snatched it off the road and lined it with some landscape fabric, filled it up with potting soil and turned it into a rolling strawberry tower. Yay ME!!! It's all done except planting the strawberries - about to go do that now.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
It IS, isn't it? :)

Today has been quite boring so far and I'm ok with that.

I'm so proud of myself I could just spit, lol. We've had a rolling cart type thingy that was formerly used by MIL to take groceries from her car to her apt way back when. DH even used it when he started buying her groceries for her.

51Mu8n6Yn1L._AC_.jpg

I knocked one of the wheels off of it with the lawnmower recently - oops! DH took it out to sit by the road for trash or pickup by someone who might think they could repurpose it. Well, somebody DID decide to repurpose it. I snatched it off the road and lined it with some landscape fabric, filled it up with potting soil and turned it into a rolling strawberry tower. Yay ME!!! It's all done except planting the strawberries - about to go do that now.
Smart! Good thinking!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woke up way too early this morning. Awake at 4:30 but tried really hard not to be, lol. Finally rolled out a little after 5. Enjoyed my 1st cuppa and as soon as the sun was on duty I was outside feeding the masses. Time to start separating and making choices between the boys. Plenty of really nice babies this year. Too many to make choosing easily. Sigh... But, it's a nice problem to have.

Garden stuff is plugging along. I didn't till this year so I'm dealing with some of carry-over weeds, lol. Busy pulling weeds, putting down feed bags and/or cardboard, and topping with hay or shavings or a combo just to add an extra layer of protection and aesthetics. Been rebuilding the raised beds. Have one totally ready for tomato plants. I'll build some sort of cover to try, once again, to keep the stinkin' stink bugs away. I ordered praying mantis "seeds" and they should be arriving this week.

We were supposed to get a nice cool front by the weekend. Nope - it changed it's mind and is not moving this far south. I guess I'll be starting to plant spring veggies a bit sooner than I had anticipated. Ok! I'm ready for some fresh veggies. Purple Dove beans will be on my plate asap!

Pig is slated for harvest on Friday. She's the last of the pigs on my place. End of an era and all that. Wonder how much freezer eating/cleaning we can do in the next few days? Still not sure how/where I'm gonna put her. I do have a "flex" area in my fridge. It's set for produce now, but I'll switch it to freezer if needed. I'll probably debone and grind a lot of this meat - except maybe the loins and some belly. I'd like to make bacon again - haven't done it in a long time. She should make lots of lard too. She's really a big gal! My sweet neighbor is going to help me since DH is not up for wrestling a pig around. Neighbor is a big hunter guy and can knock out a pig in an hour or less and he does a great job. I will compensate him appropriately (if he'll take it).

Brought up a couple does to sneak some milk later today. Yum!

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I know you have had pigs for a very long time. You had to make the decision that is right for you, but it’s got to have a sad twist to it for you. This is not just killing a pig, you are right, the end of a way of life that you have sustained for a long time. You have provided meat for your family, your neighbors and friends and not to mention, you and your husband.

Take your bows. You are remarkable.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do/did love my pigs. But, it's time and I need the pen space. Butchering a 300 lb pig isn't for the faint of heart. I can do it - and have done it - but I'll concentrate on my goats in the future.
Right now however, is time to concentrate on the garden. Whoop! I'm ready to start planting. Weather guys better not be wrong, lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's done. Pig is history. :( She was HUGE! She wasn't supposed to be almsot 300 lbs. Guinea hogs aren't supposed to get that big - especially sows, lol. She had a fat cap that was at least 2 inches in most places. I'll render that down and be grateful to have it. Yum!

Still piddling in the garden almost daily. Doing a little here and a little there but haven't made myself plant much spring stuff yet. I am picking sugar snaps that I planted a while back. They don't make it in the house, lol. I did plant some Chinese cabbage and broccoli rabe a while back. It no more than got in the ground and started bolting with this heat we've had. ARGH! I'm collecting seeds now from the Chijimisai greens. The goats are getting the rest of the plants. They love it too!

Going to go see one of GS's baseball games next week. I'll drive up with company form my DIL and we'll take in a game, spend the night and come home the next morning. Would love to stay longer, but too much going on.

About to have some sheetrock work done on the house. We had issues when we had the termites - they seemed to like eating the paper off of the sheetrock as much as they liked eating wood. Ugh. Glad this is finally getting done. Things have conspired against us for getting this project finished. It better work out this time! I hate home repairs, but I love the end product!