Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well....seems he had a rare, good day after his injection. It didn't continue at that level. But, he is somewhat improved. Still has some back pain and sciatica but marginally better. At this point any improvement is cherished! I'm still nagging him to keep moving. He's dropped a couple more lbs too. Baby steps but in the right direction!

Started tomatoes and peppers the other day. My timing feels all off this year. I just set out brassicas a few days ago - in 80+ degree weather. There's something wrong with that, lol. Not sure how things will work out if it stays this warm. May have to pull 'em out to have room for warm weather goodies. Weird, weird weather!

Been working on the raised beds. Bought some cinderblocks to replace the rotten wood. I thought cedar was supposed to last longer. Oh well. Working a little at a time to get the blocks in place. Made a decision to phase out my big blue tubs. They've been out for quite a few years and are getting brittle and breaking up and looking quite tacky. I'm going to enlarge the raised beds and use the dirt from the tubs. Problem solved!

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a few of the rectangular "recycle" bins that I plan to use for containers this yr. Smallish but, still ok for some things -- carrots, garlic, herbs, only a two plant item, etc. Free. Discontinued use by county. Already drainage holes drilled 😁. Even a few flowers as I can move them in garden areas to attract bugs. 🤷 Need to go buy two rolls of wheat straw, too. March is here -- tilling time! 🤣👍. Need to be ready to cover it all asap. Hoping this yr will be reduced grass out there.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
now with the days getting longer again we'll probably see some early flowers try to poke up over the next few weeks. :)

i'm not really ready for gardening season yet but whenever it starts is when it starts and i just work around it.

recent storms did at least put some snow back on the ground but now it is back to rains in the forecast so i expect it will be melted off yet again.

it's been pretty much the winter that wasn't here.

glad to hear DH has had some relief and also losing a few lbs. it's a challenge for sure when it hurts to move.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
i'm not really ready for gardening season yet but whenever it starts is when it starts and i just work around it.

Yep, garden season here is year-round and I'm NEVER ready enough! Maybe I should take a season off, lol. Spent some time out there today anyway. Didn't have a lot of gardening time because it was goat-shuffling day. Moved the most recent mama's to a different pen and brought up two other mama's so that I can start milking. WooHoo!

Got a mere 2.8 miles doing all the shuffling. Not a whole lot of steps, but they were all carrying something, pushing something, pulling something, or chasing something, lol. Part of the carrying something was unloading 15 bags of feed. Can't wait to sell some goats starting in a couple weeks. It'll get the feed bill down and lighten my load!
Need to go buy two rolls of wheat straw, too.
Can't get straw around here - except in small pricey bales at TSC. I use old hay and used shavings to mulch. Hay brings seeds...seeds grow weeds...I mulch with more hay to kill the weeds that the hay brought in, lol. Is there something wrong with that picture?

I'm not tilling this year. Just adding more mulch and planting in last year's rows. Planted tomato seeds a couple days ago and some of 'em are peeking their little heads up. Hope springs eternal, but I never get my hopes up too much. Stupid stink bugs win the battle every year. Maybe this year will be different...

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Two ideas...in addition to traps -- ??? Found on Google. Of course put the towel on your garden chair.

Another method of removal some have found successful is taking damp towels and placing them over lawn chairs or porch railing overnight. By morning the towels are covered with stinkbugs and can then be dumped into a bucket of soapy water.

To get rid of stink bugs naturally, try planting sunflowers and marigolds. These flowers will attract insects that consume stink bug eggs. In addition, mint, thyme, lavender, and catnip are good for stink bug control. These insects don't like the smell of such plants and will avoid them.

Never though this bug had a right to dislike these smells 😁. Who knew!? I've never found them on my sunflowers...but, they love squash plants!