Fun Ice Cream Flavors!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Alright, I'm tired of store-bought flavors of ice cream. Seems like the only options are chocolate, coffee, mint chip, vanilla or strawberry. Not that I don't like chocolate, coffee, and mint chip ice cream, but I would just like a little more variety. Oh, and then there are Ben and Jerry flavors, but those are no longer my cup of tea.

I read recently that back when sugar was rationed for one of those pesky world wars (WWII?), the ice cream industry had to switch to sweetening ice cream with honey. Some people thought it made a superior product, and sales were good, but they switched back to sugar right after the war.

I don't know about you, but honey ice cream sounds good to me.

Salted Caramel Ice Cream sounds really good to me too, so I will probably try that recipe.

Anyone have any favorite odd-ball ice cream flavors?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've not tried any homemade ice cream mainly cause I don't have the equipment. I've been trying to find a recipe that doesn't require special equipment. More like a mix ingredients & put in the freezer kinda thing, but so far no such luck & I haven't tried to experiment (yet ;) ). I'd love to make it with fresh berries or other fruits, but not sure about different 'flavors' or 'sweeteners' So I'm not one to ask on that score, sorry. But I'd love to hear if anyone else has suggestions.

As for store bought, have you tried "Bear Claw"? I think the original brand was Denali & they also had "Moose Tracks" and other like named flavors. And actually I think they just put a twist to the standard flavors so it may not be much different for variety. I have only tried the "Bear Claw" cause it is chocolate with caramel swirl & chocolate covered cashews....mmmmmmmmmmm. I haven't bought it in a long while (much too dangerous of an addiction :/ ), and I think it's now sold under Albertson store brand name.

edited to include---I just checked the chips & salsa ice cream.....I just think that sounds so wrong :sick

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I make a Chocolate Chip/Cherry Cordial Ice Cream that is TO DIE FOR!!

I gotta go dig out the recipe.........

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
I make a Chocolate Chip/Cherry Cordial Ice Cream that is TO DIE FOR!!

I gotta go dig out the recipe.........
:bun

Cool. That sounds good. I'll be here waiting. :)

:bun

Old Fashioned: Seems to me that you can go ahead and freeze the mixture, then stir it at intervals and continue freezing. It won't be as good of a consistency as if you had an ice cream maker, but my mom did that once, when I was little, and I seem to remember that it came out ok. I got my ice cream maker at Costco years ago . . . it seemed reasonably priced to me at the time, but maybe I was just willing to justify the expense. ;)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Flavors I have made and loved:

Lemon custard

Pumpkin, with or without crumbled gingersnaps or candied ginger added.

Cinnamon.

<drool>, may have to try doing some of this with the sheep's milk except I really should be saving it for cheese,

Pat

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
<drool>, may have to try doing some of this with the sheep's milk except I really should be saving it for cheese,

Pat
:gig Sorry to be a bad influence! :)

I was looking into lemon ice cream too (it has lots of egg in it). But it was a craving for ginger ice cream (I've never had it) that got me started on this mission.

I also love pistachio ice cream. :)

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Pumpkin, with or without crumbled gingersnaps...
Cinnamon.
Pat
:drool Now that sounds sooooo good & have not tried either of these. I think the Pumpkin with gingersnaps would be great. I love gingersnaps.

The Cinnamon sounds good too....with the Red Hot candies??? Ooohhh yeah!!!