Functional Fitness

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Very good question, and a complex one. I hunt a lot so being able to squat/climb up hills with a heavy load on my back is important. I am a trail runner as well which I think in a SHTF situation is extremely important.
I do not have the stamina to run, but I see a lot of value in being able to navigate a trail. I work on the strength and flexibility of my feet and my balance. My family took a more advanced trail on our recent vacation and I was happy with my agility/strength on the more difficult parts of the trail.

I also think that foot callous conditioning is important. (I was barefoot on the trail). I've watched a couple episodes of Naked and Afraid, and it seems that needing tough feet or footwear is a common theme on the show.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Beyond basic flexibility? Stamina being able to be on your feet? Steady trigger finger?

Interesting question.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I work in bursts. My asthma causes me issues. So I tend to take a lawn chair with me when Im doing things. So I can work intensely for 15 minutes then take a 5 minute breather. All depends on how much I stress my lungs.

Doesn't help that I'm too fat. Doctor says I need to fight influences and not eat as much. Thinks my physical ability is fine for my age. Just need diet adjustments.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Being adequately physically fit is a challenge for me. I can imagine in an emergency situation, I would be limited. What functional movements do you think are most important for activities of daily living in a SHTF situation?
In a real SHTF situation adrenaline kicks in making miraculous results possible.

I had an uncle that was physically disabled and not a large man. When his 250 lb. plus wife passed out in the middle of the street he was able to pick her up and carry her to the sidewalk. Under normal circumstances he could not have picked her up.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Stamina is an issue for me.

I can't think of a specific functional goal right now.

I'm wondering if biking is a reasonable functional goal for me. I live 6 miles away from the nearest town. There are 2 hills, not including my driveway which has a *slight* hill. Last summer I could not bike to the end of my driveway - 1/4 mile). The driveway is gravel and my tires are hybrid/road tires so I lose traction on gravel and it takes a lot more effort. However, I'm sure I couldn't do it even with gravel tires! I'm in much worse condition now than I was in summer, and worse since I started this thread.

Biking didn't make sense as a functional goal in the past because of children. But with kids in school, DS14 able to bike well enough, and DS6 getting close to being able to bike or stay home when DH is working on the farm... it's starting to make sense. It's definitely a good cardio workout which would help me with general stamina.

I have a bike. I just got a bike stand trainer so I can start gently during winter. I don't know if I could bike to town, but any amount of cardio conditioning will benefit me.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
for back discs it really helps to warm up gently for a while first before doing any heavy lifting or bending. especially in the morning when they are stiff.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Stamina is an issue for me.

I think grip strength is another area of concern for me, based on how many tasks I ask DH to do because my grip is not strong enough. I can't think of a specific functional goal right now.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Accidentally ok. The Thai Chi and most any stretching like the Esmonde Technique (Maranda Esmonde-White) strengthens you while stretching using your own body weight. It can take most any beat up or out of shape body and make it more capable.
I hadn't heard of this one. Thanks for sharing! - I'm curious!