Functional Fitness

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@baymule You may want to check out the Esmonde technique. I got closed lined off a horse at a dead run once. Rebroke my shoulder blade and some ribs, not sure what all I broke I never went to the Dr. I just know about the shoulder blade because it wasn't the first time and my ribs were sticking out when I picked my arm up. It hurt like hel! for 3-4 years before I started the exercise's and my shoulder was always an inch low 2-3 when I did something to much.

Anyway after I started that it quite hurting (after months) and my shoulder stayed in place when over working it. For someone who can break bones and just stay around the campground get sowed up at home or well whatever and not see a Dr. It hurt a lot 4 yrs later.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can’t run. Many years of limping around and finally got knee replacement surgery in September of 2022, so not quite a year yet. I’m doing great, but still not much on running. I try to do a lot of walking. And I’ll be getting my exercise cleaning fence rows, tearing down old fence and building new fence this year.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thankfully I am healthy! But as I chalk up more years I find the natural effects of body aging gets in my way. Several minutes of stretching every morning helps warm the muscles and improves flexibility, loosens stiffness. I move a lot all day, at work or at home.

Stretching is important for you to feel ready to move.....ready helps with extending stamina.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I could get to a store by bike. I'd have to walk most of it back though because of hills. Just not a feasible thing here.

I can walk though. Hubby can't. He has a hard time doing half a mile. I had been doing laps so a few miles then a short break and I'd be fine. Plenty of people have rain shelters at their driveways for school bus stops.

I've learned to listen to my body and stop before I have issues. Taking breaks while snow clearing has been a must. Still strained my lungs a bit, though.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i had to take a few weeks off gardening this late fall and that bothered me a lot. it was the right thing to do, i'm gradually healing up and improving but it may be a while longer before i'm fully recovered. in the meantime i have to still keep active enough in some ways to maintain some health and to work off stress. so there is that. i won't be trying to lose weight and would be happy if i can just hold steady enough for the next few weeks. the more snow we get the better. i can shovel snow, my body does good with that as long as i listen to what it tells me.

what i really do need to do is get back to some kind of workout that flexes my back and hips more and works on stretching my legs too. my old Tai Chi workout did that so i should unwrap that again and get back to it. for my overall balance and health it was the time when i felt pretty good. sure improved my ability to deal with slips and falls too.

it will be interesting to see how i can manage it with so many changes. it's been a long time and a lot of injuries.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Stamina I think is the right answer for our house. The wife can help for about 15-20 minutes, then wiped out for hours. Where I need help is food prep, forget the standing at the counter, just cutting up stuff takes its toll
Pacing might help with that type of fatigue. I used to use a HIIT timer app. 3 minutes activity, 10 or 15 minutes rest. Amazing what can get done 3 minutes at a time. I could sustain it for about 2 hours. If I think of the book that taught me how to pace, I will share it. My doctor had recommended it.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I work in bursts. My asthma causes me issues. So I tend to take a lawn chair with me when Im doing things. So I can work intensely for 15 minutes then take a 5 minute breather. All depends on how much I stress my lungs.

Doesn't help that I'm too fat. Doctor says I need to fight influences and not eat as much. Thinks my physical ability is fine for my age. Just need diet adjustments.
Coffee helps. I'm back down to my target weight now and feel better.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
SHTF for me the first one would be SHTT (S*T Hitting The Toilet).

my leg and lower back gives me troubles at times so as long as i can keep moving and gardening i'll be doing that. crawling if needed. i don't mind weeding a garden while sitting on a ground pillow or even laying on a few of them. it just takes time to move around in between finishing areas.