Funny, odd, weird town/city names?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
We're pretty boring here in Connecticut. We do have Giants Neck and Mianus, CT, although the latter is not pronounced the way you might think. I do occasionally talk online about how my son's teacher lives in Scotland. It's one town over....
Here's a list from NY. We used to see a lot of these on the road signs driving to my grandparents' house in Rochester.
Bath, NY
Big Flats, NY
Busti, NY
Buffalo, NY
Butternuts, NY
Chili, NY Pronounced with two long "i"s
Coxsackie, NY
Day, NY
Fishkill, NY
Fine, NY
Florida, NY
Flushing, NY
Halfmoon, NY
Hicksville, NY
Horseheads, NY
Italy, NY
Mexico, NY
Mooers, NY
Root, NY
Triangle, NY
Tuxedo, NY
Yonkers, NY

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
There's a town somewhere, I'm thinking it's in one of the Carolinas and I'm just too lazy to look it up right now...Frogknot.

Only reason I know the town exists is because I met a woman who passed through Frogknot, liked the name so much, that she named her dog Frogknot.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
"No, turn left near Dildo, but don't pass Upper Dildo, the turn at Dingwall until you reach Coxsackie"

:lol:

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
There's a town somewhere, I'm thinking it's in one of the Carolinas and I'm just too lazy to look it up right now...Frogknot.

Only reason I know the town exists is because I met a woman who passed through Frogknot, liked the name so much, that she named her dog Frogknot.
:gig Frogknot! :gig :gig

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Bee - don't call the meeting to order yet. I need to run get a plastic liner for my chair. :gig

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i would love to know the history on some of these names, especially the booger towns. We have a community called Possum Trot not far from here. i think all southern states have a community called booger holler or something like that and it probably came from a hunting trip most likely a coon hunting trip cause boogers come out at night when coon hunting goes on. us southerners believe in them boogers, spooks and haints. :lol: