Gardening 2011

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Its fun to read everyone's gardening plans for 2011! Like the thread, Hen!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Its fun to read everyone's gardening plans for 2011! Like the thread, Hen!
Thanks!
New note:
I've also got out some canning books so I can think about things from that angle as well. :cool:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
In the canning department I would like to make some ketchup this year. Plus EVERYTHING else. Then actually store my apples this year.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I plan on growing a ton of tomatoes for canning and making sauce, hot peppers so I can make salsa, egg plants, zukes, both yellow and green so I can make zuke pickles, sweet corn, beans, carrots, peas, cucumbers, watermelons, butternut squash, pumpkins and I don't know what all else. I've never had any luck w/broccoli and cauliflower, but maybe I'll try it this year.

I also plan to finally get my fruit trees and plant my orchard finally. And, I'll be doing some experimenting w/different grains so that I can hopefully feed the chickens (and maybe the goats and rabbits) for free, or close to free. Oh and some collards for my son's iguana.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2 bugs that have plagued me the past few years(and getting worse) are the japanese bettles and four line plant bugs. I am hoping the biological controls for the JP will go to market. Parasitic wasp.Love bugs eating bugs!

The chickens really got into me feeding them the Jap bettle.We would knock them into a water dish,and they would gobble them up.It was quite satisfying to watch.

Mention of the ketchup reminds me of the banana ketchup I bought a few times at the asian food store.Unfortunately it had red 40 in it,but I bet I could whip up my own.

I got my gardens alive catalog.Might actually get protective sprays from them this year.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm trying my darndest NOT to think about it after last year's disaster.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Let's see. One entire bed of carrots. Spinach, lettuce, and peas from seed and cabbage from the garden center. My cabbage last year didn't do good from seed and I don't want to mess around this year. Hoping to move in July/August so trying to focus on the earlier stuff. No tomatoes or peppers this year!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If you're not moving too far, you could always try growing the tomatoes and potatoes in barrels, then take them w/you.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I like growing peppers in pots. You can bring them indoors in fall and put them back out in Spring. They REALLY produce like mad second and third year :D

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I like growing peppers in pots. You can bring them indoors in fall and put them back out in Spring. They REALLY produce like mad second and third year :D
I've had success doing that as well. We had a tiny hot pepper plant in a pot. DH took it to school for the winter where there was a greenhouse window. It thrived and we brought it home for a second summer here. Don't know what happened to it when he left the school..... :/
I spent some time making plans last night and some more time standing in the back yard in my pjs this morning. I'm not exactly having second thoughts on moving the garden but I did realize we've got one huge oak tree that throws a lot of shade right where I want to move the garden. I may be better off keeping it behind the garage. :idunno