Gardening 2011

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
hmmmm, now that the snow has melted, I can see the gardens......:barnie

I can't wait to get out and get my hands dirty......

I thought I would have take some to clear out the aspargus tops, but the snow has really beaten them down, so it took all of 5 minutes this morning.....

HEY! I'VE STARTED WORKING IN THE GARDEN ALREADY!!! :woot

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
:drool This has me drooling!

#9100 The Essential Tomato Garden
Since we have such a large collection of wonderful tomato varieties, we developed this special Collection with our core, top-picks for the complete tomato garden to meet all of your culinary needs. Sungold Cherry Tomatoes are like garden candy, popped fresh into your mouth once picked. Red Jelly Bean Grape Tomatoes are good whole or halved in sunny salads with crumbled goat cheese, blanched haricot verts and baby lettuce leaves. Carmellos are the perfect slicing tomato for non-oozy sandwiches. Brandywine and Persimmon are our top picks for a colorful salad of red and orange-yellow, sliced tomatoes with fresh mozzarella cheese, basil leaves and vinaigrette. Milano and San Marzano II Plum Tomatoes are unparalleled for cooking in sauces, stews, composed vegetable lasagnes, salsas and soups. (Buy a Collection as a gift for your neighbor to ensure you of summer picnic invitations.) This indispensible Collection includes one packet each of the following varieties at about 10% off regular prices:
Sungold Cherry Tomatoes (about 15 seeds)
Red Jelly Bean Grape Tomatoes (about 15 seeds)
Carmello Tomatoes (about 35 seeds)
Brandywine Tomatoes (about 50 seeds)
Milano Plum Tomatoes (about 50 seeds)
San Marzano 2 Plum Tomatoes (about 50 seeds)
Persimmon Tomatoes (about 50 seeds)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I found the miniature variety of sugar snap pea I mentioned earlier. It's called Thom Thumb!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I plan on cuting some big oaks to cut out the shade in my yard for my garden. We can use the wood to heat the house, and use the extra garden space for more veggies. I have to ammend the soil big time this year. I plan on onions, potatoes, tomatoes, cukes, beans, squash, corn, peppers, herbs, okra, lettuce, cabbage, carrots, peas, blueberries, strawberries, and a few other thiings. I got gifted a tiller :D Soooooo, my mind is racing into the garden planning mode SOON! Also going to build a small greenhouse with some stuff I have laying around. :)

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK, you all are making me think about it. :p We have to find a new plot for the garden since the goats moved in and took over. I don't know if I'll do spring gardening this year. I'd like to have some peas and broccoli.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
It is hard to look out at the snow covered lawn and realize there is nothing I can do at this point except make plans and wait for it to warm up. I should have gotten a better start on my garden like Denim Deb did!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
It is hard to look out at the snow covered lawn and realize there is nothing I can do at this point except make plans and wait for it to warm up. I should have gotten a better start on my garden like Denim Deb did!
But, I wasn't able to finish. And my garden is still under snow, which is a shame cuz it's warm out. I would have been able to finish. :(

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We got lots of wet weather last night and where the snow has melted our garden is a muddy mess. I went out and looked at it......... :D

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have mowed the fall garden, tilled it under and then unloaded 2 truckloads of oak leaves and compost over the expanded lot (from 40x60 to 100x100). I have a couple of compost piles made of chicken house cleanings and barn /pasture cleanup.

I plan to plant:
- corn
- a couple of kinds of peas (purple hulls, crowders)
- radish (2 kinds)
- mustard greens
- yellow crook neck squash
- zucchini (not as many plants as last year, it was about the only thing that did super well and I had too many!!)

and

tomatoes. I'll spend the money, I'll tend the soil, I'll plant them.... after last year I won't have much hope though.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
My garden space is 110 square feet, in a community garden, so I save space by growing stuff I don't get easily, from being hard to find here, frequently contaminated, or just too expensive. Square foot gardening (not exact) and companion planting.

Cold season:
I want to try some cold weather grains, red clover, and Fava beans as cover crops. I absolutely love Fava beans, and can chop up the rest of the plant, for the soil.
Plant leeks, garlic, shallots, and yellow onions a.s.a.p.
lettuce, peas, spinach, beets, radishes, Brussels Sprouts, Chard, asparagus, kale/greens/cabbage family, and maybe artichokes.
Try some strawberries in hanging pots to save room.

Spring/Summer:
celery, chives, some flowers, more spinach, herbs, Roma tomatoes with the basil- great combo!, a little block of corn, peppers, Yard Long beans& a few squash & pickle cukes on bamboo teepees