Gardening with Infants?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
OK for those of you who want a photo, here you go. This was from about a month ago, but it's probably the best current photo I've got.

458_rwldecblue300.jpg

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
what a sweet face... :love congratulations!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
AAWWWWW... he's SO cute!

How old is he now? Aeryn's 6 weeks now, and I'm assuming that even though she doesn't like laying in the playpen now that she'll be better once she gets a little older and can sit up and play with toys in there.

I figure I'll use the playpen, and possibly just let her crawl around the garden (I have a deer netting fence around the actual plot). I do have a snugli and a sling but I don't think you could garden with a baby on your front.

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I also recommend the portable bouncy chair. Then they can check out what your doing, be fairly close to you, and have things to look at! I would normally second letting crawl in a playpen/garden but you'll be spending more time making sure hes not eating anything!! lol.

I would take your 20-30 minute increments in stride, figure you can maybe get a few outside with him in a bouncy chair...and when that baby closes his eyes you grab the baby monitor and don't let the door hit ya on the way out! :lol:

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone. :)

hwillm1977 said:
How old is he now? Aeryn's 6 weeks now, and I'm assuming that even though she doesn't like laying in the playpen now that she'll be better once she gets a little older and can sit up and play with toys in there.
He is just about 4 months old now.

It is hard to say . . . once a playpen hater, always a playpen hater? I don't know for sure yet, but I have my suspicions. My little guy is just starting to be able to sit up unassisted (he still needs to be propped up against pillows and watched) and play with toys on his own. He would rather do that on my bed than in the playpen.

I read that the one thing you want to watch out for in the garden is the child picking up rocks and trying to swallow them and/or choking on them. Someone recommended placing the baby on a sheet (or a tarp, as was suggested here) . . . that would help one keep an eye on them, I think.

Maybe we should update this thread when we both get out there and experiment a little this season?

Good luck with your garden this year, hwillm1977!

LOL raiquee about not letting the door hit you on the way out. :D