glyphosate

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
:shudder:

DH read about roundup found in cream of wheat and we're switching to organic.

We rent crop land that has been round-up-ed. This year they planted green beans, so no roundup! Awesome! I hope they do it again. I'm trying to convince DH that we should rent to someone who farms organic. Less rent money during transition, but I think it's worth it. The field is shared by 3 owners and one of the others is so fed up he intends to switch to hay and not rent it. The third owner doesn't care who rents or for how much.

DH uses herbicide on buckthorn. (invasive species). maybe prickly ash - also invasive. We can pull prickly ash by hand in the spring, so we do that a lot too. Other than that, we just embrace the "rustic" (weedy) look.

Actually, in my garden, I eradicated quack grass by digging it out and hoeing! I thought it would take years, but only took about a month. I will have to manage the edges of the garden continually from it creeping in from the outside, but it should get a lot better from here on out!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
People using roundup on the blackberries here makes me scream. They dump so much on them when it doesn't work the first time. Just pollutes the ground and water. I know there is a specific herbicide that actually works on them.

Smarter people with acreage here cut them down regularly by hand or use goats. Goat rental places are easy enough to find here.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We were just talking about eradicating blackberries, and one friend knew someone that swears by kerosene and some sort of oil (she couldn't remember what kind) mixed together and sprayed on the blackberries. According to her it works like a charm. Of course, I don't know if kerosene is actually any better than glyphosate.....

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I cut them off to the ground and just mow the area every two weeks. Kills off the blackberries and the roses eventually

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh that's great, so they're trying!

My goats killed my blackberries. I kind of liked my blackberries, but definitely don't need chemicals to get rid of them if you don't like them!

I'm sick of people saying we can't feed the world without GMO's. It's nonsense.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Farmers have been using the stuff so long they have grown dependent on it. Its also increased yeild alot. Corn for example gmo yields around twice as many bushels an acre.

Yeah we are definitely gonna see a price hike when they finally ban the stuff.

But either way the world will have a food/population crisis in the next 50 years

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score