Govt Stimulation burning a hole in my pocket.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My wife and I I got up at the crack of dawn Sunday morning, so she could baby-sit me while I was up in the attic. Over the 3rd of the man cave that's insulated. Even then the attic was still hot. I was up there about an hour and came down soaking wet head to toe. But my plan worked :). I added the fabricated box two 14" start rings and a length of 14" insulated flex pipe, cold air return grate and filter. I blocked off the other cold air return with some wide foil tape covering it's filter and also the same for all the registers in the un-insulated. I also moved the thermostat into the insulated 1/3. My plan worked, maybe a little to well... Good Lord this carrier unit blows so cold, it makes my nipples hard.

New cold air return
IMG_20200817_092216606.jpg

Here's a pic of the cold air return in the un-completed section, that was installed by the heat and air company. I sacrificed one filter by covering it with foil tape. I still have 11 more new filters in the box.
IMG_20200817_094348021.jpg

IMG_20200817_101734848.jpg

And the wide foil tape covering the registers.
IMG_20200817_094400384.jpg

One of my son's works where they manufacture foil tape. This roll had to much glue and was rejected :) . He brings me rejects occasionally, so I have lots of free foil tape

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Why don't you dig sprigs from those growing? It's a shrub that likes it's feet wet. Yes, elderberry product can be expensive! Should be good wine! I've tossed some juice into a glass of bland white to get an idea.

The heat and lack of rain all of July in my area did a huge dryup of the local berries. I'm ok with own juice supply and some frozen or dried but, very disappointed in available to harvest this year.

I could do cuttings and rooting hormone or slice up some roots. But from what I read, the bushes are shallow rooted and it's best to start by seed. As you noted, elderberries are highly susceptible to drought and do best if started by seeds.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've heard that elderberry roots very easily. I have a couple of plants, but they are not thriving where planted, Soil is too shallow. And the deer prune them heavily every season. I really need to find a happy place to plant some elderberries.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have an elderberry pie in the oven. Of course I doctored up the recipe. I used 5 cups of berries instead of 4, to fill the pie better. I added 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp cloves and the butter in the berries as they cooked.

I took pictures of the recipe and the pie crust recipe. Maybe I’ll get lucky and they will be readable. LOL

59B11FD1-C8CF-4F46-827D-3F5E23A6F096.jpeg

1FA111C9-6EFA-4F2D-B7E8-350C62DDF4DF.jpeg

Sorry about the pie crust being sideways, it was the only way I could fit it to my phone screen.

Be sure to carefully remove the berries from the stems. The stems are tiny fine filaments and hard to remove. It’s said that the stems are toxic. I never get them all out but we ain’t dead.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That looks nice. The crust looks nice and flaky.

Latest posts