Govt Stimulation burning a hole in my pocket.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So the seeds have to be soaked in acid first? I know some trees like cherry and eastern red cedar, have to pass through a bird first. That's why you see them growing along fence rows.

:idunno They are shallow rooted, I know....like good moisture & sun. But next time I see some birds I'll suggest they only eat elderberries!! Mine are all wild but, have seen them for sale in catalogs. They multiply in stands but not sure if it is from root sprouts or/and seed drop.

Here's what I got from google-- go & read 😁

How to Start Elderberries From Seed Stratification | Home Guides …
1597900494883.png

homeguides.sfgate.com/start-elderberries-seed-stratification-54548.html

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:idunno They are shallow rooted, I know....like good moisture & sun. But next time I see some birds I'll suggest they only eat elderberries!! Mine are all wild but, have seen them for sale in catalogs. They multiply in stands but not sure if it is from root sprouts or/and seed drop.

Here's what I got from google-- go & read 😁

How to Start Elderberries From Seed Stratification | Home Guides …
View attachment 14500
homeguides.sfgate.com/start-elderberries-seed-stratification-54548.html
I have the seeds in the dehydrator set to it's lowest temp 95 degrees. I crushed them prior to adding them to the tray. After they are dehydrated, I'll put them in a plastic bag and put them in my lagering freezer which is set to 35 degrees. Come late winter/early spring, I'll direct sow in a south facing 100 row and see what happens. I'm trying to simulate what naturally occurs.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Most definitely catfish in the pond. I cast out with blood bait on a #4 treble hook, secured my pole, went to go eat dinner and walked back to the pond to find my line twords the shore. Reeled it in and netted this bad boy :)

IMG_20200820_193335843.jpg

11593.jpeg

Last edited:

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Pretty good sized catfish.... Do you eat them? I know alot of people do. I can't imagine eating them out of a pond where they are more scavenger in the mud and stuff. We used to catch them in our little pond when I was a kid. Neighbor used to take them and keep them a few days at least in clean fresh water and I guess it took out the "muddy taste" or something.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pretty good sized catfish.... Do you eat them? I know alot of people do. I can't imagine eating them out of a pond where they are more scavenger in the mud and stuff. We used to catch them in our little pond when I was a kid. Neighbor used to take them and keep them a few days at least in clean fresh water and I guess it took out the "muddy taste" or something.

I threw it back in. I'm not much of a catfish eater.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We love fried catfish! If it has an off taste from being in a pond, you can soak the fillets in salt water, it helps.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We swap chicken for catfish with a friend of ours. He fishes in rivers and the big lakes around here, there is no off taste to the catfish. He fillets them, cuts it up in easy to fry pieces, bags and freezes them. I think I'll set out a package for our supper tonight!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't eat fish. A friend does and always offers fresh to me when they go fishing...I keep telling her thanks but, NO!! I will eat albacore tuna (in water) only if a lot of pepper/onion/mayo...soften the taste. 😁

But that's a nice fish! I had friends fish & eat from the pond at a farm many years ago....he loved the private pond! Our ducks did, too.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It would be so nice to have a farm pond like that. I love to fish on ponds. Now all I get to do is fish on the bay with DH, when I get to fish.