Govt Stimulation burning a hole in my pocket.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Too bad, picture frames, crafts and lots of things to do with old barn wood.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
My BIL's family are fanatics. His late father had 5 AC's. The whole group had like 15 (3 sons). They would go to shows during the summer.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You will be wasting money to put that much down at once. The ground will not be able to "absorb" all that and some will just get "washed out". Seriously, do the 2 ton and then in a year do another 2 ton. You will see much better results. You cannot do all the amendments all at once.... Unless it doesn't figure out to cost more to do the 4 in bulk than it costs to do 2 ton.... I'd put the bulk on it then do some light on the other ground. It takes a good 6 months to see the first benefit from any lime spread...... it has to get broken down in the soil in order to raise the ph.

I'm not at all conserned with over liming this little acre and a half. It has a smaller pond on it that feeds the big pond so any runoff will eventually make it's way into the pond, via the feeder pond anyways.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm so sad I feel like crying. Gary is fixing to take all his cattle to auction. The 3 I picked out of his herd, just became 4. The hefeir had just had another hefeir calf last night. I don't have fencing up yet so I can't take them. It makes me just want to cry.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you mean you won't be buying them now? Or just sad he is selling out?

Some days you just say " I'm done with this" . Usually a reason but, sometimes because you are just not wanting to do it any more. It happens. I used to "live" horses and now not so much wanting the work. My goats are easier in many respects and produce for me. At some point, they will be dwindled from 20 to 3. Likewise chickens will drop from 60 to 6…..your energy and interests change. It's life.

I hope this change is one he wants to happen.

No... They were gifted to me (free) and I can't take them because I have no pasture that is fenced. So he's now going to take them to auction. Some financial and medical stuff came up with Gary's wife and he needs funds. I feel horrible, absolutely horrible.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep, sometimes it is just not meant to be. There is always a reason, even if sometimes you don't know what it is.

What you did for Gary on the tree was a god thing. You are a good man, a man who cares about his friends and neighbors.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I found another pond. It's actually the feeder pond for the big pond. It's pretty small and I could easily plug it up by building a small dike between the two ponds. I'm left wondering what to do with it? I could fence it in for ducks, I could grow minnows or shiners to sell to local bait stores. Or what else???