Govt Stimulation burning a hole in my pocket.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No, this is not good wire that could be reused. It is old, black, fabric-wrapped wire that has been there many years. The light fixtures that he is putting in the out-buildings are mostly LED. Double whammy - low cost to run and low heat output to help prevent fires.

When my DH was in high school, he helped his Dad's best friend wire a garage. The guy was a Master Electrician and he liked the kid, so he taught him how to do it right. DH is a civil engineer now, so everything he does is done right or not done at all. He hates to have to redo and fix stuff.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That plywood may not be defective, just not smart and on the laaaaazy side! Maybe that's why it was sold....couldn't be trained. :lol:

I tried feeding it a box of nails but, it won't eat. Just lays there... Think it's sick or just doesn't like American nails?
IMG_20200917_160727377.jpg

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Allis Chambers are great tractors. We have several.... and loved the old d-17 and d-19's.... have the post driver on one... Have 2 200's that we use one has a loader/spear.... Have the big 7040 that is a huge horse and can hold back the round baler on the hills.... the one old one, is a narrow front end, but most are wide front end like your picture. If they are popular in your area, then you will be able to find places to have any work done....and parts tractors around too. And we have found them to be decent on fuel/gas.... the JD we use is a fuel hog, but the deutz is very easy on fuel.... most of ours are diesel.... but there are a couple that are gas. My little farmall H is gas... all our AC tractors are diesel I think.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is why I prefer the open tractors over the cab ones 99% of the time. Cab tractors are essential for running the discbine for protection from the possibility of one of the knives getting "thrown" off at the speeds that they turn... they have been thrown through the back windows of tractors before.... something that doesn't happen with a haybine with knives on a cutter bar....I like to listen to the equipment... you get to know what sounds right and when there is a problem. You gotta have a cab tractor with ac in the hot sun when round baling, or the dust and dirt will choke you.... and they are nice in the winter when feeding to protect you from the elements and keep you from freezing. But for tedding, and hay raking, I will take an open tractor every time. Sometimes in real hot sun, a canopy is nice... have an umbrella to go on the H for the real hot sunny days.
I'll be the first to admit I had to Google "discbine". That's one wicked implement no doubt about that!

The old girl had been sitting a while, I had corrosion on the top of the plugs and inside the plug wire boots, which made for a hard start. But after cleaning that up it helped a lot with starting.

I ordered the manuals on-line and I kind of felt like an idiot after reading through the operators manual. Apparently the tractor was ordered with a deluxe seat option. With the deluxe seat option you can stand up or sit down. When I first got on the old girl I couldn't even reach the clutch or the brakes. I looked and yep the seat was all the way up. But no it really wasn't... it was flipped back so you have room to stand up while riding. After understanding how the deluxe seat works by reading the manual. With the deluxe seat you flip it up for an extra 6" closer to the console. Now everything is in reach. At 6' tall maybe the seat is a little to close now. I may have to unbolt it and move it back one to the center position. And here I thought the guy who owned before me was a giant.:rolleyes:

The deluxe seat has 6 positions, 7 of you count tilting it forward to cover the steering wheel and console. The manual says to do that if it starts to rain and you can't get the tractor under a roof. With the seat resting on the steering wheel rain hits the back of the seat and runs off. That way when you get back on the tractor your sitting in a dry seat and won't get swamp ass. They really thought about things back then.

My wife came out to look at the old girl. She said how am I supposed to get on this tractor? So I climbed up to show her. She said yeah right... I need a ladder. I said I'll fix you up. 15 minutes later we had a stirrup made out of some old rusty chain, pipe and some bolts. With a little encouragement by saying "you can do this farm girl", she mounted the old girl using the stirrup we made. But I had to help her off because it's quite a jump, even for me. What you think of the Redneck stirrup?
IMG_20200930_234759952.jpg

Anyways if anyone needs the manuals for a AC D19 hit me up. I have the operators, parts and repair manuals on Google Drive all I need to do is shoot you the links.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, a discbine is a wicked machine for mowing.... the pluses are speed, and picking up "downed crops" thick hay and things that have been "bent over" due to wind or other problems.... you can mow twice as fast with a discbine as with a haybine. A haybine will get all clogged up in thick stuff....ground speed is much slower...You can more easily fix some teeth/blades on a haybine.... have done MANY.... and if you don't keep the blades in there, then it will clog even worse. With the thickness of crops nowadays, improved varieties that get planted closer, and increased fertilizer for thicker stands, the haybine is a bit slower....but much safer for the operator.

Lime is essential for the health of the land. Acid soil will not support optimal crops. Lime will improve the PH of the soil...uptake of the nutrients.... more weeds grow in more acid soil.... Most of your hay crops will do better with more neutral soil.... and the nutrients that feed the crops will be more available in more neutral PH soil. There is no fertilizer that will do it's job if the soil PH is too low or even too high. You are throwing away your money on fertilizer if you don't have your PH near neutral because it will get bound up and get wasted.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We do soil samples just about every year. We not only lime crop fields, and hay fields, but also pastures that we own. Lime takes a good year to get down to where it breaks down and does the most good. Do not put all the lime on the ground that it may call for, all at once. Split it into a couple of applications....fall will get it into the ground over the course of the winter with snow fall or even rain unless it is flooding... it will mellow the ground better that way. If it calls for alot of lime, do it 1/2 this year, then 1/2 next year. Lime is not cheap....and there is 2 kinds of lime, calcium and dolomite... You need to know what is available and what the land needs. SOIL SAMPLES are essential.

Get the extension service to help you with reading the soil samples.... listen to what they say.... get more opinions... then MAKE YOUR OWN DECISION. If you ask several people, you will get some general consensus.... that is the way to go.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Mini Horses knows the small ruminants.... You might want to go on our sister site BYH and read some of the MANY posts about goats and sheep. We have White Texas Dall sheep.... not meat sheep, have them for the horns on the rams. Sell them to a couple of hunting preserves in Pa..... but coyotes got in this spring and killed all the lambs and 2 ewes in 2 nights. Had a friend with a night scope come and do some predator control.... got a couple.... We were way down as he has been culling ewes that have chronic feet problems and a few were just getting old. They are not real people friendly... not what you want for meat. Neat to look at... look like bighorns.

Sorry to say "I told you so" but an 8 ft bushog wouldn't even have fazed the tractor.... we pulled a sq baler and wagon behind a D-19 for years.... ran the haybine with it too for many years cutting everything. Wish my son would get the couple back up and running... I prefer the older type tractors.... like my Farmall H, although a lack of hydraulics does limit it... but it is great with the rake and in smaller tighter spots with the narrow front end. But we need the cab and horsepower for the discbine.... and I need the hydraulics for the big wheel rake I use... Still the Ford 4600 and the 6600's are both older but not as old as the allis.
Glad you like her..... I know I do.

Shame they could not have gotten more of that up for hay....BUT... it is good organic matter going back into the soil. So not a loss really. And getting it bush hogged off will slow down the weeds somewhat. You will need to bushog before the weeds head out to prevent seed formation next year and that will help.
Amazing the number of animals that iwll take advantage of growth like that. You might want to consider some area for the quail to hopefully re-establish a habitat. They like to be fairly close to a water source.... I am sure the foxes have kept them in check so maybe if you thin the foxes the quail will flourish.... and you won't have so much to worry about for the chickens you are talking about. The foxes will just carry off a chicken lickety split....

Latest posts