Govt Stimulation burning a hole in my pocket.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There are different kinds of lime, calcitic and dolomite; each will provide a different amount of nutrients. Liquid lime is lime dissolved in water. It will be more quickly available to raise the PH.... but be ware of anything that is calcium chloride being touted as liquid lime for the land. It is what they use for "salt brine" for the roads.
Read the article on AGFAX.com as it is fairly straightforward and will explain in fairly simple terms what the benefits of the different types of lime. I am not aware of anyone here using liquid lime.
Just remember that anything that is liquid, the concentration is lessened.... probably 50% due to having it mixed into a liquid solution. The same idea of buying antifreeze.... a gallon jug of antifreeze is say 10.00; a gallon of ready to use 50/50 antifreeze is 7.50 or 8.00. You are paying for half gallon of water and half gallon of antifreeze.... and not for half the price. All for the sake of convenience.....

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I met
That screen really does help.... but watch your temp gauge closer.... it will affect it. Such a shame with all that flat ground for it not to have been hay.... but next year. Looks like nice ground. Congrats.
That screen really does help.... but watch your temp gauge closer.... it will affect it. Such a shame with all that flat ground for it not to have been hay.... but next year. Looks like nice ground. Congrats.

I met my neighbor, who's property backs up to this 10. He came out to meet me as I was making my second pass around the perimeter. He's the one who last cut this 10 for hay 2 years ago, he's now 80 and has given up on cutting hay. He said this field always makes really good hay and he's said he's leased it before for cattle and horses. His name is Gary and what a happy guy he is. Somehow we started talking about "war wounds" and health. We must have talked 20 minutes or more.

He said he has 37 head of cattle. I asked him about purchasing a cow and her calf this spring. He said buddy, I have several angus cows with calf's now. I said well I got to get this 10 fenced in first. He said well you come talk to me spring then, I'll hook you up. We kind of hit it off I guess. He was also kind of amazed that the D19 was my first tractor ever. He told me that I operate that tractor like you've had it for years. I said nope just got it a few weeks ago, first ever tractor. He laughed and said well seem people got it others don't. What a super nice guy.

I'll be hogging again tomorrow. if I think about it, I'll shoot a video cutting a row maybe might see a fox or rabbit run off. I'm better lining up my rows on the left side of tractor than my right. The right side has the muffler and air breather blocking my view. Practice, practice, practice is what I need.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It sure does help A LOT. I'm keeping close tabs on the temperature guage when it starts to climb I shut everything down, put her in park and leave the motor idle. I then go around to the front and with my hand just wipe the screen off. She then runs cool again, until next time I stop and do it again. So much better then trying to clean and blow out the radiator.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Neighbor had his two bottom mossy hitched up already and came over. He said, where's the garden going? So we paced off a 100x200 and he plowed it up. When he was done he said I could do this all day long :) we have awesome neighbors. I've always wanted a 100' row garden.
IMG_20201107_125844561~2.jpg

IMG_20201107_132204292~3.jpg

I was expecting clay, but nope nice rich and loose black dirt. I was also concerned plowing with a 14" deep mossy bottom that we would turn over rock, but nope again nice and deep top soil.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So who is gonna fine till it? Looks good to start tho!

I know you had a large garden before. Is this similar size? Cause it's huge!
It ain't all that big, only 20,000 sqft - go big or go home :) I'll probably disc it late winter and get my troybuilt tiller going for rows. Chickens and turkeys are getting half of it (100x100) and I'll alternate them every year.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Interesting discovery today. Did you know in southern IL if your property adjoins a county maintained road you have the right to have the county pay to put egress from your property to the county road? By egress, I mean a covert, gravel and grading.

Guess who's getting more access to their property for free?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Since I have no qualms about appearing stupid.... What is VLB

Well it's like at harvest time and you're on your VLR Very last Row :) but for me it was the VLB Very Last Board to tack to the ceiling. VL (Very Last) is so ingrained in my vocabulary many years ago I started using it as an acronym. For example my kids knew I meant business when it said this is the VLT I'm going to tell you...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Garbage mountain is no more. My wife and I cleaned that mess up. I must have cut 50 stumps off at the ground, thank the Lord for chainsaws. We have a pile of metal, a couple bags of aluminum, a pile of busted cement blocks, a pile of stumps already cut to firewood length, a pile of old barn wood that I need to cut to firewood length for either firewood or the burn barrel. And a good pickup load to go to the dump (sofa, mattress, etc...) All in all not that bad after we started bagging stuff that the trash man took as part of our regular weekly pickup

Still makes me mad though, we have trash pick for a reason!

Latest posts