Govt Stimulation burning a hole in my pocket.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Appraisal just came in this evening, and... The appraised value is significantly more than the contract price. Now that's a great feeling, it doesn't get much better than that!

It funny how things just fall into place... Despite the fact that I walked away after the first counter offer. But I had a sad feeling come over me. No mater how hard I tried, I couldn't shake that feeling. That's when I had a talk with my wife and she said something like, I was just waiting for you to come to your senses. My wife has now went into packing overdrive.

We close June 30th and will be moving in slowly over the month of July \o/

my wife and I started pulling T-posts out of the big garden today, they come out real easy with the bobcat, a heavy duty c clamp and a logging chain. My wife's hands were orange from the rusty logging chain. She had me take a picture of them so she could sent it to her friends with the title Orange Woman Bad 😂

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi, I’ve been following along this thread from the beginning. It’s so exciting seeing someone realize such an awesome dream!

I got a little bit confused though. Are you buying the property that you put the first offer on where the seller’s counter offer was too high? Or the second property you put an offer on that is in the Shawnee National Forest?

It's the 20 acres "pretty hilly farmland" one. We went through several back and forths with the seller. In the end we got the price my wife and I agreed what would be we would be willing to pay. We close the end of the month and will be moving all throughout the month of July.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got confirmation today, we close June 30.
Mortgage interest rates are insanely low right now. Good time to purchase property.
👍

Shhh... But I looked at another house in town to buy and rent out. I can't help myself, I love old houses.

My plan... Drive my wife crazy!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We did our final walkthrough, this evening. I didn't think to take any pictures but this one. I want to know who is swimming out there to get the rain water swamped paddle boat?

This is the first time I actually walked down to the pond. It's pretty peaceful I would say about 2 acres and teaming with frogs, turtles and fish. I counted 3 different turtle species and seen a few big bull frogs. The water is quite clear for a farm pond.

I was watching fish jump to catch insects and a big fish made a sizeable splash. Couldn't tell what kind of fish they were but hey it's fish. It's a very good sign to have a live pond and not a dead one.

I eventually want to put in a floating dock. Yep I really think I'll be hanging out down by the pond a lot, it was quite relaxing to me.

IMG_20200629_172455984_HDR.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Putting in a new 220volt 200 amp service in the main cave. I tell you what, messing around with 4/0 aluminum wire ain't no joke. New main breaker box, next to the old screw in fuse box. The new aluminum 4/0 wire was aleady buried in 2 1/2" pvc and breaker box was already there. They framed for a bathroom and kitchen, which I'm tearing out. So I'll have one huge room for the family to gather for the holidays. The breaker box was located in the bathroom wall and not even hooked up, but it is now :)
IMG_20200718_170255968.jpg

The big black cable coming out of the old fuse box on the bottom, is mine cable.What miners use to run the miner. Then there is also another big single black wire coming out of the top, that's a huge copper ground wire. These mine wires are the biggest copper wires I ever seen. One run is burried in steel pipe that goes to the 1 car garage. Then there is another one burried in the steel piping that goes from the garage to the barn. Heavy duty wire, is all I gotta say.

I'll run a 100 amp 220volts from the man cave to the 1 car garage. Then a 100 amp 220 from the 1 car garage to the barn. A little more than 1/2 of the barn is going to be my workshop. The rest is going to be for animals eventually.

Anyways I'm just starting to get into the bowls of the out buildings and upgrading the electric. I actually love working on electric, so I'm in my element :)

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The Christian Preacher Electrician came out this morning. What a supper cool guy, he was telling me about his ministry. He's pastor at three jails. His business Moto is just like General Electric's "We bring good things to life." :)

I'm going to hire him and his grandson to update the service main for the house with a combo metermain and breaker box outside. But most importantly a main shutoff outside in case of a fire. If there is ever a fire, the fire department can shut the electric off to the whole place from outside. That's a big safety plus there.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It’s so nice to move into a house where you find the previous people have done things well! That’s so much better than running into a bunch of screwed up stuff that makes you say “what were they thinking?!”
I totally agree! While looking at the place. I told my wife to distract the agent and look at the girly stuff. So I could check out some stuff alone. It's like next to impossible to have a good look at stuff with my Wife and Realtor in tow.

Come to find out from John our neighbor across the road. There are two septic systems for the house. The old traditional one and the new one installed by the previous owner. The new one for the house is currently using is an aeration type and still under warranty. From what I understand the previous owner wanted aeration system, for no good reason other than just wanting one.

Eventually I'll hook up just gray water to the old septic (bath, shower, sinks and laundry) to the old septic and use the new aeration septic for toilet flushes. But that's off in the future... In any event it's good to know that I could fall back to the old septic if the new air should fail.

Last edited:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our neighbor lady does all their lawn mowing with their zero-turn also. She is pretty good with manuvering through their shrubs. She does all the snow plowing with the ATV and blade also.