Govt Stimulation burning a hole in my pocket.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That screen really does help.... but watch your temp gauge closer.... it will affect it. Such a shame with all that flat ground for it not to have been hay.... but next year. Looks like nice ground. Congrats.
It sure does help A LOT. I'm keeping close tabs on the temperature guage when it starts to climb I shut everything down, put her in park and leave the motor idle. I then go around to the front and with my hand just wipe the screen off. She then runs cool again, until next time I stop and do it again. So much better then trying to clean and blow out the radiator.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have found that one of those long lint brush cleaners they sell for dryers is good to reach in and knowck off/out this crap. I keep one just for that. It helps with the "in use" times you find necessary in high, mature fields.

When things get to normal you will run thru cutting that so fast it will be a little disappointing that you don't get to ride as long. 😁

And there you go -- old cattle man right next door!!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have found that one of those long lint brush cleaners they sell for dryers is good to reach in and knowck off/out this crap. I keep one just for that. It helps with the "in use" times you find necessary in high, mature fields.

When things get to normal you will run thru cutting that so fast it will be a little disappointing that you don't get to ride as long. 😁

And there you go -- old cattle man right next door!!
I know right, it's amazing what you discover when you get to the back of your property. I have to remember to grab my tape measure. There's a white oak tree on my side of the property line that's the biggest I've ever seen. And I've see my fair share of trees before.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Maybe consider working a deal to let him graze cattle on your land and work out a trade for a cow/cf pair or something like that. Or something where you could have a "co-mingled herd".... and with his age you could help with the winter time chores more if needed.... There are lots of possibilities here. Great that he is a nice guy .... and :thumbsup on the bush hogging/tractor driving abilities.
When I rake I prefer to go in a counter clockwise rotation... I can judge the distance to the fences better on my right side than my left side..... range of motion in my neck and all that.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maybe consider working a deal to let him graze cattle on your land and work out a trade for a cow/cf pair or something like that. Or something where you could have a "co-mingled herd".... and with his age you could help with the winter time chores more if needed.... There are lots of possibilities here. Great that he is a nice guy .... and :thumbsup on the bush hogging/tractor driving abilities.
When I rake I prefer to go in a counter clockwise rotation... I can judge the distance to the fences better on my right side than my left side..... range of motion in my neck and all that.
I taught myself something new today. Want to cut a straight line through the pasture? Just aim the top of the exhaust pipe to someone fixed, like a tree that's far away. Sure the tractor bobs and weaves but keep it aimed and you're sure to cut a straight line.

I got to the top of what my wife says "Billy goat hill" and had to call my wife to bring farm truck for.more gas.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I normally choose a fence post and go to it! Of course my areas are NOT a large as yours. But yeah, get the first line decent and you can make it look like you know what you're doing....that's my theory!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So while hogging today, Gary flagged me down. We must have talked for 1/2 hour and I just let the old girl idle. Ok I really don't know what to say other than this man is a musician and absolute master mechanic. He was washing a 83 caddy all original with 37,000 original miles. What a beautiful car! Cream colored. He laughed as he said I'm getting a few toys ready for winter.

He took me in his man cave, I was floored old antique instruments hanging on the walls, I mean just about any kind of instrument you could think of was there. He had a studio for recording set up in the corner. And I'll be damned, I've listened to his music many times. I can't tell you his last name but he was a very famous saxophone jazz musician when he was younger. When I say famous I mean he was well respected in the music industry. If this guy ain't a multi millionaire, then I ain't alive.

I asked him about cows again and did he raise them to eat? He said no I raise them till they die we have never eaten one. I asked him what breed they were and he said angus. I think his herd is just a hobby. I don't know how but we just kind of hit it off. Gary is one happy man, always smiling he's an interesting man. It seems like he likes to talk with me. Actually he does most of the talking, I do a lot of listening.

He asked me Tomorrow if I had time to go and look at the herd and pick out a cow, calf and bull. I asked him if he had any steer he said no what started out as 5 cows has grown over the years in to a herd and he does have the bulls cut.

We haven't talked money yet, I tried and asked him how much, so I could budget. He said you come tomorrow, have a look and pick out what you want. I have no idea what that means but I'm sure going to go look. Never hurts to look does it? I'm sure I'm going to get a lot more education tomorrow about cows.

I odd thing about Gary is everyone never talks about him, other than he's a hermit. I don't think that it at all... i think he's not wanting attention, so he keeps to himself and being low key, if you know what I mean? Then along comes a guy like me with a long ponytail that he can relate too and I listen to him as he talks, he's teaching me. He's older and wiser than I am and I respect that. He also introduced me to his wife, shes a real hoot, her name is Mary Ann.

Last edited:

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Maybe Gary can sense the musician in you. He's probably happy to have a neighbor who can relate to his experiences. Yay for meeting another nice neighbor!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maybe Gary can sense the musician in you. He's probably happy to have a neighbor who can relate to his experiences. Yay for meeting another nice neighbor!
He is a very nice guy no doubt at it. I'm just really surprised the local long time residents know such little about the guy and refer to him as a hermit.