Grain/Gluten, Legume and Dairy free food ideas and sharing journal

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Are you using the paleo hummus recipe above? I was going to make it for lunch and serve on lettuce boats, but apparently the check out girl forgot to bag my zucchini up with my other stuff. :( Didn't notice till got home.

Oh, and on that slow roasted chicken, I should have uncovered the chicken for the last 30 min so the skin would get crispy. Oh well. It still tastes good.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
No, I'm not doing paleo anymore...was too hard w/ not eating meat :( I'm not going ape wild on carbs though.

Uhm, how do you even pull chicken?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Just seperate the meat from the bones and use two forks to pull the meat into shreds. If you slow roasted it, it should shred pretty easily. Sometimes the breast meat needs assistance (chopped up more) with a knife.

R-Lawrence

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm only on page 9 of this thread but so tired I want to go to bed. Couldn't leave without commentng that I absolutely need to come back tomorrow to finish reading.

Sounds like the paleo diet? I've been thinking about doing that. My kid is gluten-free and I'm trying to get him dairy free but he loves his cheese so much. I tried to get him to eat rice cheese but he doesn't like the texture, and sneaks half a container of parm cheese on top.

I'll work to clear out the junk. When I come back tomorrow, I'll start making notes on what you are eating. And somewhere I have some almond meal and coconut flour. If I add a little baking powder, will that fluff it up or is there something else you're using?

Thanks for a great thread!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hi R-L,

Your welcome!

It is a version of the Paleo diet. We did strict paleo the first month and then introduced raw dairy from Jersey cows. Since we don't have issues with it, we eat some dairy and good-quality cheeses, (not KRAFT). I finally found a source of raw cheeses...quite pricey, but we use less just so we can afford it.

We still omit all grains/gluten and legumes though.

There is hope for your cheese lover (HOLLA--I'm from WISCONSIN!), exchange cheaply made cheeses with imported and more higher quality cheeses...then cut back if you are on a budget like me. It is best to find raw cheeses, but if you can't (it is hard to find) meh, just get a higher quality cheese.

Today's menu:

Breakfast:
primal hummus in lettuce boats (if you use my recipe listed a few posts back, cut way back on the sea salt)
raw milk (for me)
water for Sam

Lunch:
cold cuts
cheese
liverwurst
water

Dinner:
chili rubbed fajita salad (greens, cabbage, red onion)
homemade guac and pico
water

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
MsPony said:
Do you have any super good roasted chicken recipes? I'm getting back into chicken :D
rub chicken with sea salt, paprika, pepper and sage.
Place in 350 degree smoker. Cook smoke till done.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yesterday's menu:

Breakfast
spinach, zucchini and onion omelette
water

Lunch:
taco salad
water

Dinner:
slow cooked bbq style roast
homemade coleslaw
water

Today:

Breakfast:
watermelon
water

Lunch:
bunless hamburgers
water

Dinner:
hummus
coleslaw
side salad
smoked salmon
water

Good night!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Oh and I made gluten free dairy free cookies I used the recipe posted in the food section here by Holachica. I changed a few things, no peanut butter for us and no sugar.

1 cup almond butter
1 cup Justin's chocolate hazelnut spread (no refined sugar, just evaporated cane juice)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

cream together and bake @350 for 10-15 minutes.

Add coconut flakes if you want. (Switch out hazelnut butter for honey.)