Greenhouses anyone?

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Look on Craigslist. They sell them once in a while. Some take just a little investment.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ya we don't have the capital right now, but I will probably build something on the cheep in the next two years. Once I have my garden layout

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mine was only $200. way back then. but I did guy a half greenhouse, being all glass like the large one, for $175 about 7 years ago. I have that attached to my house on the cement patio off the kitchen. Ya just have to be willing to do the work to rebuild and make it workable. Most of what I did was used. Cement block foundation, furnace, exhaust fans, electric and even the shade cloth and slider door. Now that it is all established I have added or replaced new items for the old...

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We've got 4 small ones. We built three of the 4 ourselves. The biggest is 12x16, and is half filled with a neighbors deck plants for the winter. The second is 8x8. Then 2 small ones 5x 5 and 4x4. (The 5x5 is a little pop up one that I bought on clearance several years ago and am just now using. the the others we built ourselves.) The wood was all used and was free to us, so our only investment was time, staples, a few screws and plastic. We just finished them all this last week, but I've got several tomato plants, dill,
IMG_20171118_094754.jpg
IMG_20171119_171129.jpg
deck plants, and the olive tree in the big one, a calamondin lime tree and mint in the 5x5, tomatoes and basil and oregano in the 4x4. The 8x8 is the kids and will have flowers and anything they want to grow. We don't have any fans or watering systems set up, but they'll keep stuff from freezing, and it really gets nice and warm in them during the daytime.
IMG_20171115_103440.jpg

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How very cool is that????? I just love it. Lucky you to have such mild weather....me, NOT SO MUCH. I keep exotics in the north which, the two do not mix well, so I must use heat and fans in the winter..

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This was my redneck greenhouse at our old house. PVC frame, plastic and duct tape, took the plastic off in the spring. My husband had a fit the first year, it was in the front yard right by the front door. But red vine ripened tomatoes all winter made him a redneck greenhouse convert.

I wish I had one now!

Attachments

• IMG588.jpg
    IMG588.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 210

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Baymule, if you lived closer, I'd send you home with a load of lumber, a roll of plastic, and a tomato plant. :D I'd make you buy your own duct tape. I use it too often here. :gig

Oh, and @waretrop, that's a beautiful set up you have there! We're hoping to eventually have something similar.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Baymule, if you lived closer, I'd send you home with a load of lumber, a roll of plastic, and a tomato plant. :D I'd make you buy your own duct tape. I use it too often here. :gig

Oh, and @waretrop, that's a beautiful set up you have there! We're hoping to eventually have something similar.
That is so very kind of you. I have a hoop greenhouse frame, just have too many other projects in front of it. To even set it up will require taking down a temporary fence that I am not ready to take down yet. Then cutting down some trees and clearing a green briar tangle the size of a school bus--all this BEFORE I can even start setting up the greenhouse. Sigh....

I have decided to buy two tower type cheapos for starting seeds. I can put them on the porch, but the real expense will be buying LED grow lights.

flowerhouse-portable-greenhouses-fhxupt-64_1000.jpg

Latest posts