Growing cherry trees from seeds

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Maybe we need to call you the Little Red Hen.

Almost forgot to say, you don't want to grow Prunus serotina. That's a wild black cherry. They're great for firewood, but have little, tiny berries that are almost all pit.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
planting from seed- no telling what you will get. I doubt that commercial sweet cherries grow true. But who knows? And you might even get some sort of sport that's even better

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FEM -- you must have been home alone because I just know you would share that with DH. At least a bite!! :hide

Bay -- one day, ONE day, the greenhouse will happen. For me, the winter veggies -- beyond some Fall things -- is whatever I have frozen or canned! :idunno Works for me.

Sumi -- waiting to hear if those seeds sprout.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Almost forgot to say, you don't want to grow Prunus serotina. That's a wild black cherry. They're great for firewood, but have little, tiny berries that are almost all pit.
Thanks, Deb! I didn't think to check what variety these are, but they were nice and fleshy, being shop bought, probably some commercial strain.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Thanks, Deb! I didn't think to check what variety these are, but they were nice and fleshy, being shop bought, probably some commercial strain.

Figured they probably were, but also figured the info might come in handy for someone else. Prunus serotina is what we have growing around here. I burn quite a bit of it.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@Denim Deb my landlord told me today he has a type of wild cherry growing at his house.

He was delighted to hear of my efforts here, but said the birds will probably enjoy the fruits before we get to. I said to him well… they are lovely trees when they start blossoming and all that? And we both burst out laughing.

By the time they make fruit, IF they grow, I'll probably be gone and living on my own place somewhere, but I'm hoping whoever may come here after me will have something to enjoy from those seeds I planted now.