Hair Washing

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
detali said:
I have been using baking soda to "wash" my hair for the last 10 days. I love the results. My hair used to be so fine and fly-away and frizzy. I would have to use gobs of hair spray to keep it in place. Now I wet my hair in the shower, sprinkle baking soda on it, work it in and rinse it off. Then I rinse with citric acid. 1/4 tsp to a quart of water. My hair looks so nice and shiny now. Don't need hair spray. I discovered I have naturally wavy hair in the back. Something that didn't show when my hair was all frizz. I doubt that I will ever go back to shampoo.
That is really great! I wish it worked so well for me! I finding that my hair is not as nice with poo as I envisioned it had been when I was no poo...if that makes sense. My hair was only marginally worse with no poo, but in my mind it was a constant worry! As soon as I run out of poo, I will start trying some all natural products to see if I can find a happy medium.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Just wanted to add my report.

Went on vacation ... out to middle of nowhere USA ... so decided to give the no poo thing a try.

Stopped shampooing last day of school 5/27 = not a problem

Used only hot water daily rinsing when showering until 6/5 = not a problem

6/6 - 6/10 no rinsing and even added EV olive oil to bottom of hair on a daily basis (we were driving windows down and in a DRY area with lots of sun. Wore a braid a lot, a hat and sometimes a bandanna as well = not a problem

6/11 Hot water rinse = not a problem

6/12 shampooed with usual shampoo = fine soft and FRIZZY as all get out! Can not get it to lay down at all today. Even in a "tail" - hair all around my face is sticking out everywhere!

My hair is long, medium oily, can be frizzy. I have lots of trouble with breakage and usually have split ends as well.

I think my experiment shows - I will be washing LOTS less with poo. I will be trying the castile soap with ACV sometime soon and will be trying the soda wash next time.

Keep you posted.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I switched to just bs and acv with a few drops of eo of eucaliptis (sp?) and I haven't used poo in 1 whole week. I love my hair!! Tangles up when wet, but when dry it is soft an smooth and not greasy!

Urban Farms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
how about washing with egg? no chemicals and you don't have to be brave

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Urban Farms said:
how about washing with egg? no chemicals and you don't have to be brave
We did that in the 70's at our house! Kinda forgot about it. We also used beer too I think.

What do you do? Just rub it into your wet hair and then rince?

Urban Farms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
yes, now I use Dr Bronners soap but always if we ran out of shampoo we would just rub an egg in and rinse.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was thinking about this thread this weekend.
FarmFresh, my experiment went about as yours. No-poo, fine, with poo, frizzy. I have stick straight hair, how does that get frizzy???

Anyways, I'm back to BS rinse every few days with a water rinse every day or so.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
That is cool that you are still sticking with it...wish I could have been a bit happier with the results.
What ever happened to Aidenbaby? Anyone know?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I do need to add a correction to my report. When the temps get HOT and I get sweaty I have to use the castile soap to shampoo about every other day. Just too stinky without it! :/

I can stand that in the summer however. I am still amazed at how well I do with so few shampooings the rest of the year!