Hair Washing

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Dace said:
I spent a little time reading thru the no poo site and looking at hair pictures. I am back to wondering why I am trying this.

Aside from avoiding the chemicals, I just would really like to have nicer hair that requires less abuse from hairdryers, flat irons and curling irons. I was hoping that by getting rid of the chemicals and the abuse my hair would suddenly decide that it likes this treatment and decide (miraculously) to behave. I did a water only rinse today and my hair looks pretty crappy. I made up a batch of tea which many people seem to be happy with. Some seemed to be happy after using Cassia....I guess I'll see how I feel about the tea treatment.

After reading and looking at pics, I think I must be delusional. Sure there are some for whom this no poo deal is the bomb, but many more are struggling with ugly hair. I am not going to go 18 months with crappy hair in the hopes that at some point it will change....that is nutso!
I'm not too happy with the looks of my hair either. I had to run to the store and ran a brush through it. As I looked in the mirror, I saw how ugly my hair looked! It looks like I forgot to wash the conditioner out. Now that is why if feels heavy! Dr. Bronner's is not a great shampoo. Great for everything else though!

I just got my hair cut shorter and it doesn't quite make it into a pony tail, so I can't hide it unless I wear a bandanna or a hat. I don't want to spend the whole hot summer with something on my head!

Can you use BS and ACV on a daily basis? I couldn't find the answer on "no poo". I am going to try it tonight and if it works for my hair, I would want to use it more regularly.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
bbh, it seems to me that you can use them daily BUT the BS can be damaging. I did read that many people had to bump up to 2 Tbs of BS (rather than 1) in their every-other day wash...seems to have helped some with the greasies.

I just added some fresh rosemary to my steeped tea...it is simmering on the stove. Looks like I will be in the shower again today.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Here is a link with some tea threads. Still finding conflicting info...helps some put an end to frizzies and causes frizzies in others :barnie
http://community.livejournal.com/no_poo/tag/tea

I simply boiled pot of water, added 4 green tea bags and a couple lemon zinger bags for fragrance, and a handful of fresh rosemary. Let it simmer then cool. I am going to hop in the shower again :rolleyes: I will use a little more BS and rinse with the tea. Still contemplating adding a little honey to it.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think the key to no-poo is to find out what works for your hair. Just like no one kind of shampoo will work for all hair types, the same goes for no-poo recipes.

Does anyone know what lavendar, oregano or sage would do? I have them growing quite rampantly and I may as well use them for something as my personal cooking use doesn't even come close to denting them.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I agree...everyone has to find the right combination of recipes that works for them. Not sure I will but I am still making an effort. I think that for some people who have a really smooth transition, they just happen to hit on the right combo of actions to keep their hair nice. Those who struggle with detox are really struggling to find what works....IMO. Count me as a struggler.

Here is a list of herbs that I found...
What kind of herbs can I use to improve my hair's health?
Burdock: root helps prevent dandruff
Catmint: leaves encourage hair growth and soothes scalp irritations
Chamomile: flowers soften and lighten hair
Flannel Mullein: lightens hair
Goosegrass: tonic and cleansing, helps prevent dandruff
Henna: red hair dye and conditioner
Horsetail: non-fertile stems and branches strengthens the hair
Lavender: antiseptic, antibiotic, stimulates hair growth, and degreases
Lime: flowers clean and softens
Marigold: lightens hair color
Nasturtium: for hair growth
Parsley: enriches hair color and gives a nice luster
Rosemary: tonic and conditioner, one of the best herbs to use, gives luster and body, also slightly darkens the hair. (This is good to use if you notice your hair lightening due to baking soda use.)
Rhubarb: the root makes a yellow hair dye
Sage: tonic and conditioning, darkens the hair
Southernwood: encourages hair growth and helps prevent dandruff
Stinging Nettle: tonic and conditioning and helps prevent dandruff
Witch Hazel: leaves and bark are astringent and cleanses oily hair

Most recipes using these herbs call for dried or fresh, you can boil it into a tea and infuse it into your rinse routine (or make it a rinse all by itself). The oils will work as well, but make sure they're pure, and use very little. A few drops can go a long way!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Aiden, I've hear that nettles, sage, and vodka works as a scalp cleaning?
Your right, some things might works for people, and some might not for other.. I've heard of using egg yolks, raw milk, the list goes on..

There was a book, 'Organic Body Care Recipes' that had natural shampooo recipes and the like in it, I never read much of it, but it might be worth looking into.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
My final hair post for the day...I promise!

This morning I did a water only wash...let air dry. Not happy.

Cooked up some rosemary/green tea mixture. Washed again used 2 Tbs BS all over scalp, rinsed well, then used the tea rinse. Let that sit for a few minutes, then rinsed with cold water.

Since I have a meeting tonight i went ahead a blew dry my frizz mop. What a wreck :ep! Then I attacked the mess with a flat iron. I have to say, you would never guess that I have not shampooed since Sunday! I do have more volume than usual which is fine. My hair did smooth out pretty well and looks pretty well behaved...almost like I put hairspray on it. It does not feel bad but it does not have that addictive silky feel that keeps me running my hands thru my hair all the time...kinda miss that.

Day 3- going out in public and looking good.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Week 2 update: The oil from my hair is getting to the ends. It isn't on all the ends just yet but on the ends that it is, my curls look... lovely. I have hope that I will have a day when I can keep my hair down, do nothing to it and someone will come up and say, "Wow, your hair looks fantastic! :ep What did you do to it?" Maybe that's a pipe dream but at least it's MY pipe dream. :love

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know if this helps or not, but I think I would have to blow dry and style my hair no matter what method I used. It also depends on how I have it cut. My hair has a ton of body and wave and can be styled curly or straight depending on the cut, but it still needs help to get there. I so wish I had hair that would air dry and look nice, but I don't. If I air dry, then it turns out half curly, half stringy and flat at the crown, poofy on the ends. Disaster! Do what ya gotta do to feel happy with it.