Hair Washing

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
After reviewing the list of herbs, I've decided I'm going to use a tea of lavendar and sage to go with my ACV and see what happens. I've got 'em growing, I may as well use them.

dnsnthegrdn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Dry shampoos don't have to be expensive!

Almond meal, bran, cornmeal, oatmeal, sawdust, or talc. can be sprinkled through the hair, left in for 3-5 minutes, then brushed out. Mixing a tablespoon of baking soda with any of these substances aids odor control. Place your favorite dried flowers or herbs or essential oils on top of the mix for scent. They absorb the oils that may build up.

I don't recommend the talc though, as it takes a lot of brushing to make it so your hair doesn't look gray!

For those with an itchy scalp:
Witch hazel, or an antiseptic mouthwash, applied to the scalp and thoroughly brushed out, relieves "itchiness" and removed surface contaminants. For blonds, 3-percent hydrogen peroxide will serve the same purpose and lighten hair roots.

I know that the dry shampoos work out of experience. So these may help on those oily days.

I haven't tried it but I would assume that adding a peppermint or wintergreen EO to the Witch Hazel would help tremendously as it is analgesic. I'd say any menthol would work.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Did you really say sawdust? I think I'd need to pick it out with a fine toothed comb and then go wash it :lol:

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Last night I did a salt water rinse, then ACV/honey rinse followed by a cold, soft water final rinse. (boiled water and let cool)
My hair felt so soft and well conditioned when I got out of the shower! My DD even commented on how good my hair looked (wet still).

Slept on it and it seems to have decent curl and minimal frizz (although that is normal for me when I sleep on wet hair) Not sure if I can wear it down yet, it is early and I have not consumed enough coffee to make that determination.

It feels a bit odd, maybe dirty-ish but certainly not greasy.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Did you use BS too?

I used BS and ACV last night, I woke up, and although my hair was messy from sleep, it looked and felt great, in my opinion.

dnsnthegrdn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Did you really say sawdust? I think I'd need to pick it out with a fine toothed comb and then go wash it
I believe your thinking about wood shavings. Sawdust wouldn't me any different than any of the others. I was just putting down ALL the options that I've come across. Everyone is having trouble with oil n' such.

I know, the sawdust didn't appeal to me too much either.:/

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Aww, dace. I hate that it didn't work out for you. Keep trying other things, there is probably a shampoo out there for you.
Today is the 8th day without shampoo and I'm very pleased thus far. I think this may be the best my hair has ever looked. I've got very straight hair, like a board. It lies flat to my head and when I don't at least rinse it, I get the hat hair without even looking at a hat. But doing the water rinse seems to be working out. I've not done anything gross lately, so I haven't used the BS or ACV. I just brush my hair several times from roots to tips with a clean brush, then hop in the shower & rinse with really warm water. It gets a little grungy looking if I don't at least rinse it every other day though. I try to shower only once or twice a week with a daily sink scrub of essentials. I've got a little itch going at my center part, but I think that may be sunburn. I've definately got to get the ends trimmed at least an inch or two.

detali

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have been using baking soda to "wash" my hair for the last 10 days. I love the results. My hair used to be so fine and fly-away and frizzy. I would have to use gobs of hair spray to keep it in place. Now I wet my hair in the shower, sprinkle baking soda on it, work it in and rinse it off. Then I rinse with citric acid. 1/4 tsp to a quart of water. My hair looks so nice and shiny now. Don't need hair spray. I discovered I have naturally wavy hair in the back. Something that didn't show when my hair was all frizz. I doubt that I will ever go back to shampoo.