Hair Washing

Reaction score
If I don't wash my hair at least every other day , my scalp itches. Then I have to use my DW's hair brush to scratch my scalp.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I know what castile soap is but an someone tell me what ACV is and how you use that along with baking soda ?
Dace, ACV is apple cider vinegar.
There is a difference between someone who doesn't bathe at all and someone who doesn't use soap or shampoo, but still bathes. I know what you mean about standing close to someone who hasn't bathed. They usually apparently haven't changed into clean clothing either. NASTY!! And then if they have problems holding "it" besides... oh boy, I make sure I get far away as I can.
When SO politely asks if I'm going to take a shower, I take it as a hint that I need to wash my hair with shampoo :p
I grew up with daily sponge baths. As a young child we only had cold water and as a teenager we lived in the country and the pipes often froze in the winter. We would heat up some snow on the stove and take the bucket into the bathroom and do a quick wash of essentials. The bathroom had no heat! That's when we were glad for gym days and the consequent shower :th
If the school bus got us to school early (rarely), I would run to the gym and take a quick shower before classes. A lot of the kids did the same.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
After having some pretty big buildup, I used the baking soda wash and ACV rinse 2 days ago. Since then, it seems like my oil production seems to have evened out. Or maybe it just hasn't had enough time to build up again. Either way, for the most part it is back to it's frizzy self. Will the frizz ever end??? Probably not and that's okay. I've had it my whole life so to expect a change now would be awful silly. I'm pleased with the extent of the experiment so far.

I will tell you that this experiment does have produce some interesting side questions. One that I've been wondering is if I run my hands through my hair more often will the oil act as a form of lotion? I can't help but think that it will/does. Another is that now I'm wondering if all the acne meds that I've tried over the years aren't producing similar results on my face as the shampoo was to my hair.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
FWIW, I usually only wash my hair maybe once a week, and have gone for 2-3 weeks on numerous occasions (basically when doing stuff that did not bring me into contact with people during the day). Although my hair is different by the end of the week than at the beginning, it's not a big deal. However towards the end of 3 wks it would be definitely getting real stringy and a bit odd-smelling (partial solution: put in a bun), and I don't do that anymore because I gotta be around people too much and besides it makes the pillowcases need to be laundered too frequently :p.

I have done the 'wash only with hot water' thing and while it makes a slight dent it doesn't really do *much* good, for my hair anyhow; have not tried it with vinegar or baking soda though.

From the above experiences I am pretty sure that the results of stopping using shampoo would be highly unpleasant, for my hair type anyhow (it's long, somewhat coarse, and rather curly/brillo-y). Obviously I'd do it if the hot water heater conked out or there was a global shampoo famine or something, but otherwise, not for me thanks.

I *am* quite happy wiht once a week, though :)

I am skeptical that one's body regulates oil production according to what's already on the hair, as a) I can't see how the body would have any way of getting feedback on that, since hair is dead; and b) I don't *think* other animals work that way, do they? they just reach a steady-state where oil is being lost from the coat at the same rate as its being added. I think?

I've read that one of the main reasons chickens dustbathe is to remove excess and 'old' oil from the feathers, for whatever that's worth. Perhaps people with too-oily hair should be taking a clayey dustbath and then washing in plain water? LOL

Reading this thread with interest and enjoying hearing aidenbaby's experiences,

Pat

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hmmm, still frizzy?
I have read that a little olive oil will help but if you are already battling oil then I don't know about adding to it.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been thinking of adding a little bit of oil to the ends and my hairline. I don't seem to have any buildup issues around my hairline at all so maybe that would help. Also, on that website that Amos posted, there are recipes for hairspray, gel and mousse. I may give some of them a try. I usually do just what Pat mentioned and toss it in a bun. Not because of anything in particular other than I have small kids and I don't usually feel like doing anything else with it. I have cut it short once before but that REALLY made me look similar to Bobo the clown.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
sylvie said:
No offense to anyone here attempting this, but my pet peeve is standing behind someone in a checkout line who has not been washing the hair regularly. The smell about knocks me off my feet and I come near to vomiting.

You might get a close caring friend to periodically give you a sniff test during this endeavor. You can't announce to everyone everywhere that the "stench" is an experiment. Just sayin... :sick :p
Thanks, Sylvie, for a belly laugh this morning!!! That is just stinkin' hilarious!

Ok, I am admittedly a shower-twice-per-week sort of person. In summer, more, but not my hair. I just don't like using so much soap, water and time. So, I have a whole assortment of colored handkerchiefs that I tie over my head when I need to be in company (like people picking up their CSA shares at my home). They look nice and nobody needs to know my hair is getting an oil treatment :D

kohburn

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
haven't gone that far due to a shared genetic dandruff problem courtesy of my father (the type caused by fungus feeding off the dead skin cells along all hair lines, beard, side burns, scalp)

I normally shampoo every 3 days unless i get real dirty working, but i recently started adding tea tree oil to my shampoo and it has made a noticable difference in easing itchy scalp and smooth soft hair.

I may try doing a home made setup next, but i think I'll be hanging onto the tea tree oil use :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
kohburn said:
haven't gone that far due to a shared genetic dandruff problem courtesy of my father (the type caused by fungus feeding off the dead skin cells along all hair lines, beard, side burns, scalp)
:)
I am positive someone here at ss will have a natural solution for that little itch.