Hair Washing

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
kohburn said:
haven't gone that far due to a shared genetic dandruff problem courtesy of my father (the type caused by fungus feeding off the dead skin cells along all hair lines, beard, side burns, scalp)
:)
I am positive someone here at ss will have a natural solution for that little itch.
That would be awesome, DH has the same issue. Redness & itchy scalp around the hairlines? I know Tea tree oil helps, but SeaBreeze astringent is about the only non-prescription product that really, really works, in our experience.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
big brown horse said:
kohburn said:
haven't gone that far due to a shared genetic dandruff problem courtesy of my father (the type caused by fungus feeding off the dead skin cells along all hair lines, beard, side burns, scalp)
:)
I am positive someone here at ss will have a natural solution for that little itch.
That would be awesome, DH has the same issue. Redness & itchy scalp around the hairlines? I know Tea tree oil helps, but SeaBreeze astringent is about the only non-prescription product that really, really works, in our experience.
Try reading thru here.... http://community.livejournal.com/no_poo/

Check out the topics on the right hand side. I found lots of good info for Frizzy which is my issue.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
For itchiness and extra scaliness (which I get sometimes where my ponytail is, especially if I've been wearing a hat and sweating considerably for several weeks), you might try Listerine. It is a standard, and IME reasonably helpful, remedy for itchy tails on horses, and I've found it somewhat reasonably helpful on my own scalp too.

Pat

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hey, very good tip, it will make your head cool off too!

I see baking soda (bs) being used for shampoo, it is made into a paste first or what? I may have missed the directions, I'll look again.

I used to put baking soda on my lab dry to use as a inbetween bath. Don't do this on your grass, or it will turn brown!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Aidenbaby said:
I used 1 Tbsp of baking soda per 1 cup warm water.
Thanks!! I am going to try this tonite. :D

Hennypenny9 sprays ACV onto her hair in the shower so it isn't gluggged on and wasted...I think this is a great tip!!

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used 1 Tbsp of ACV to 1 cup of water as well. Next time, I'm going to use 2 as my hair was still feeling "dry". If that still leaves my hair feeling dry, I'll also add 1Tbsp honey to the acv part. Remember, I have frizzy, curly hair and it tends to be drieer than your average hair.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Aidenbaby said:
I used 1 Tbsp of ACV to 1 cup of water as well. Next time, I'm going to use 2 as my hair was still feeling "dry". If that still leaves my hair feeling dry, I'll also add 1Tbsp honey to the acv part. Remember, I have frizzy, curly hair and it tends to be drieer than your average hair.
Sunday evening I took a shower and shampooed & conditioned my hairas normal. Monday I spent the day with DD18 at the hospital (apparently a strained chest wall muscle...she thought her lungs were going to collapse!) so no shower....yesterday I desperately needed to shampoo. After reading thru these posts and the other website I figured that going natural can't hurt. (still questioning my sanity at that moment)

I washed my head with the BS mix, then rinsed with the ACV mix (water, 3 Tbs ACV & 1 Tbs honey) then I misted it with a mix of water, 1 tbs honey and a few drops of EO...kind of a leave in conditioner for my frizzy hair. Next time I might add a few drops of EO to the ACV rinse rather than spray it on after.

All I can say is EWWWWW. my hair looks awful (wore it up all afternoon/evening) and it really does not feel good.
This morning I will just to a water rinse and see if that helps.

I keep asking myself... what am I doing? I have not told DH & kids about my little experiment, they will definitely think I have lost it and I am wondering as well!

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I noticed (as one of the websites had mentioned) that days 5-8 were the worst. Right now, I think my hair is actually balancing out. Yesterday, I had it pinned back in a half pony with a barrette and I DIDN'T need to brush it for hours on end to get the tangles out! Miracle of miracles! Also, when I did let it down. NO FLYAWAYS! (after I ran a brush through it) I also read that I may need to get a boar bristle brush as it helps to distribute the oils better along the hair shaft.

Latest posts