Hair Washing

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I tried the no poo method last summer in an effort to stop using chemicals on my body. It really didn't work for me. My hair started looking fried after a few weeks and I modified my routine. Now I use a few drops of castille to wash, and a natural conditioner such as Burts Bees and then I style with aloe vera gel. Works great and I have dense, wavy to curly hair and I wash almost every day.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
This may not work for me but I will at least give it a shot. I have heard good things about aloe vera gel, where did you get yours?

My challenge is that my hair is greasy on top and the rest is dry and frizzy, it has alays been a challenge. I would really like to get a way from not only the chemicals but I would like ti to be happy just air drying...working on it.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
These are all great tips! I washed my hair with my Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap and then used a tiny bit of "natural" conditioner that was already watered down. Hair is fine, a bit "heavy" feeling, no fly aways. But it tingled and kept me cool all night!

Tonite I will do the BS and ASV mixes. (I just wasn't prepared last night.)

BTW, what is EO? :hu

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can usually find aloe gel anywhere around here - now that it's summer it can be found with the sunscreen. I like the clear brands, and make sure it doesn't have anything added to it. Sometimes if I need a little more moisture, I add a drop of lotion to it.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
IF you have a walmart near you, check the sunscreen section. Here there is almost always a steady supply of sunscreen. If it isn't needed in summertime, it's needed in winter for skiers.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thank you!! And GREAT because I have tons of it!! (It was for my homemade lice treatment, lots of lice in the public schools in Houston. :sick)

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace said:
Try reading thru here.... http://community.livejournal.com/no_poo/

Check out the topics on the right hand side. I found lots of good info for Frizzy which is my issue.
Excellent! I'll check that out! Well, I washed my hair on Sunday, using my normal shampoo (Garnier). I haven't washed since, but I have showered and rinsed my hair with water. If I run into a gunky situation, I'll rinse well and use BS & ACV. I'm also looking for a boar bristle brush, as that seems to be recomended for distributing the oils.
My hair feels heavier than usual and is slightly oily to the touch, but not too gross.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
There was a "headliner" news article on this subject on MSN or Yahoo internet news yesterday. The author reported on the top 5 commercial "non" shampoos. I haven't used dry shampoo since the 60s.... That stuff has gotten expensive!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I spent a little time reading thru the no poo site and looking at hair pictures. I am back to wondering why I am trying this.

Aside from avoiding the chemicals, I just would really like to have nicer hair that requires less abuse from hairdryers, flat irons and curling irons. I was hoping that by getting rid of the chemicals and the abuse my hair would suddenly decide that it likes this treatment and decide (miraculously) to behave. I did a water only rinse today and my hair looks pretty crappy. I made up a batch of tea which many people seem to be happy with. Some seemed to be happy after using Cassia....I guess I'll see how I feel about the tea treatment.

After reading and looking at pics, I think I must be delusional. Sure there are some for whom this no poo deal is the bomb, but many more are struggling with ugly hair. I am not going to go 18 months with crappy hair in the hopes that at some point it will change....that is nutso!