Has anyone here seen the latest prediction from Gerald Celente??

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Cactus is pretty good to eat actually. I never thought about the wicks for the lanterns....I better get some next time I am in town.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
If I get hungry enough, I'll eat the southern end of a northbound mule.:lol::lol:

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Learn what wild foods are in your area and where and when to find and use them. Practice a bit now by adding a little to your current eating habits. Some are just survival foods, though, and can be pretty nasty.
I educated myself on all the wild edible plants of the northeastern US and then embarked on a month long hike on the Appalachian Trail with the intention of applying this knowledge. I felt very confident and to force the edible plant issue I only brought along $20 and some oatmeal and dried milk. I only found a few plants. What I didn't take into consideration was the time of year I went, late April, when here in Ohio there was a fair amount to be found. Up in the mountains it was like early March. I lost 15 lbs, spent the $20 and a pack of Cub Scouts gave me all their leftovers from their camp out. How humbling.

I'm still a believer on foraging for wild foods but realize the limitations.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Your best bet is to let some large herbivore convert the potentially dangerous plants in to a much more usable form of nutrition....MEAT!

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
agreed... which reminds me I wonder if hubby did buy the reloading stuff he was looking at at that auction a few weeks ago?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Your best bet is to let some large herbivore convert the potentially dangerous plants in to a much more usable form of nutrition....MEAT!
Yup, they are called goats and chickens around here!

I'd catch and eat a squirrel if I had to, they are quite plentiful.

We have lots and lots of edible plants here in New England, but you are right, the gathering times are limited. But so is gardening.

In an emergency, I could make do with cattails, dandelions, and a number of weeds I can't remember the names right now but can picture them in my mind! Oh, burdock, poke (spring only), elderberries and grapes (birds get the raspberries and blueberries), lambsquarters, and that highly nutritious weed that is low-growing and succulent-looking that I can't remember the name of, wild sunchokes, daylily flowers, young clover, fiddleheads, puffballs, chicken-of-the-woods, acorns mashed and washed to remove tannins, etc.....all plentiful within an easy walk from my house. Certain times of the year.

We do have LOOOOONG winters, though!

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My problem is a wife who doesnt see any of this. She would rather just listen to the latest song on the radio and when I try to talk to her about these things she just replies "I cant think about this stuff right now" ? !!!!!! Her idea of stocking up is 2 tubs of country crock in the fridge all else we will get. Im a country boy. (northern Missouri) she from New York (upstate) I love her to peaces, but I get frustarated REAL BAD!!! :he Mom taught me alot of the old ways. But with a family, it takes a team to make it. I am trying to cut back on the horses to just the real good ones, she throws a fit when I taalk of selling 1 of the 13 we have!! I mean come on here. Luxury is not an option now. I figure if she wont let me sell them and times get REAL bad, it will be like this, " MMM Nice stew, what kinda meat is this?" and I will say,,,, "Goat, lamb," what ever comes to mind, just dont go counting horses! LOL ;)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
LOL

Sounds like a plan!

LOTS of horses for sale on the classifieds these days. I imagine that is one freaking expensive pet. Of course, you may need them for transportation... :p

Is there an area in the barn or do you have a work shop or something where you could grab a few things and store them? Then, whenever you go to the store, grab something that will keep a long time and just add it to your secret stash...
a bag of peanuts, a tub of non-hydrogenated lard, jerky, whatever...

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Within the past month I have canned my first jars of meat. I have been canning jellies, tomatoes, beets and other veggies for a few years now but I never felt the need to can meat. I started thinkig of what we would do if we no longer had reliable electricity. It was then I realised that my freezer would be useless. I have so far canned 6 pints of chicken thigh meat and 5 quarts of boneless pork ribs and chunks. Both of these meats were a deal at the supermarket so I felt better about practicing with them. My mother, who use to can, said the jars looked great! Time will tell. Now is the time to learn, before you actually need to put the knowledge to use.