Healthy Fats and Oils.......IMO!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Here is a link describing both how to use the coconut oil and also why it is heat stable.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Here is some information on rabbit starvation , which I had not heard about before, although I did know that when the body has to break down proteins to survive, you can die from the toxic by-products if you aren't drinking enough water. No rabbit starvation has nothing to do with vegetarian or vegan diets.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'm not really concerned about it....I don't care for the taste of coconut oil other than in sweets. Tried valiantly to develop a taste for it. So my remark was just about the idea that is was a smidge more healthy unheated.

It is a good choice for heating.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, interesting stuff on rabbit starvation! Never heard that term, just "rabbit food" referring to a diet high in salad! I did know that you do need fat to properly digest and utilize meat....hence, no more chicken without the skin for us, or ultra-lean meats, unless fat is added in preparation.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Here ya go...

"This trouble is worst, so far as North America is concerned, among those forest Indians who depend at times on rabbits, the leanest animal in the North, and who develop the extreme fat-hunger known as rabbit-starvation. Rabbit eaters, if they have no fat from another sourcebeaver, moose, fishwill develop diarrhea in about a week, with headache, lassitude, a vague discomfort. If there are enough rabbits, the people eat till their stomachs are distended; but no matter how much they eat they feel unsatisfied. " - Vilhjalmur Stefansson

Here is what happened when a diet of lean meat was tested at Bellview Hospital...
"in the Arctic we had become ill during the second or third fatless week. I now became ill on the second fatless day. The time difference between Bellevue and the Arctic was due no doubt mainly to the existence of a little fat, here and there in our northern caribou - we had eaten the tissue from behind the eyes, we had broken the bones for marrow, and in doing everything we could to get fat we had evidently secured more than we realized. At Bellevue the meat, carefully scrutinized, had been as lean as such muscle tissue can be. Then, in the Arctic we had eaten tendons and other indigestible matter, we had chewed the soft ends of bones, getting a deal of bulk that way when we were trying to secure fat. What we ate at Bellevue contained no bulk material, so that my stomach could be compelled to hold a much larger amount of lean.

The symptoms brought on at Bellevue by an incomplete meat diet (lean without fat) were exactly the same as in the Arctic, except that they came on faster - diarrhea and a feeling of general baffling discomfort.

Up north the Eskimos and I had been cured immediately when we got some fat. Dr. DuBois now cured me the same way, by giving me fat sirloin steaks, brains fried in bacon fat, and things of that sort. In two or three days I was all right, but I had lost considerable weight." Vilhjalmur Stefansson

Here is a site with a LOT of information on the effects of a lack of fat on several explorers. Lean mean and a lack of fat often meant death. This really does illustrate the importance of fats in the diet.
http://backacrosstheline.blogspot.com/2007/09/rabbit-starvation-syndrome.html

Wifezilla

Reaction score
"It was observed that in post-menopausal women with documented heart disease from the Estrogen Replacement and Atherosclerosis (ERA) trial, a multicenter clinical trial evaluating the effects of hormone replacement therapy on atherosclerotic progression, in the group consuming the highest-saturated dietary fat diet (12.0% Sat Fat), an enlargement in coronary diameter of 0.01 mm and a 0.1% regression in coronary artery stenosis.

Quoted to Men's Health, "In the nutrition field, it's very difficult to get something published that goes against established dogma," said Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian MD MPH, assistant professor, Harvard. "The dogma says that saturated fat is harmful, but that is not based, to me, on unequivocal evidence." Mozaffarian says he believes it's critical that scientists remain open minded. "Our finding was surprising to us. And when there's a discovery that goes against what's established, it shouldn't be suppressed but rather disseminated and explored as much as possible.""

"Improved Anti-Atherogenic Lipoproteins
"A higher saturated fat intake was associated with a more favorable lipoprotein profile, including higher HDL,HDL2, and HDL3 cholesterol; higher apoprotein A-I; lower triacylglycerolc oncentrations; and a lower ratio of total cholesterol(TC) to HDL cholesterol (TC:HDL cholesterol). Women who consumed more saturated fat consumed less carbohydrate and dietary fiber and more total fat, protein, cholesterol, polyunsaturated fat, trans fatty acids, and monounsaturated fat.""
http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.com/2009/06/benefits-of-high-saturated-fat-diets-in.html

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Found a great website that explains the omega 3 omega 6 balance.

" The incidence of cardiovascular disease has increased in parallel with the increase in linoleic acid intakes in many countries [Ghosh]. Linoleic acid is the most commonly eaten omega-6 fatty acid. Notably, people who have died from heart disease have higher blood levels of the omega-6 fat, arachidonic acid"

http://omega-6-omega-3-balance.omeg...ndait-sure-aint-science-or-public-health.aspx

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Found a great website that explains the omega 3 omega 6 balance.

" The incidence of cardiovascular disease has increased in parallel with the increase in linoleic acid intakes in many countries [Ghosh]. Linoleic acid is the most commonly eaten omega-6 fatty acid. Notably, people who have died from heart disease have higher blood levels of the omega-6 fat, arachidonic acid"

http://omega-6-omega-3-balance.omeg...ndait-sure-aint-science-or-public-health.aspx
Just to remind y'all, the veg oils commonly used in the USA are very high in Omega 6's. Besides fish oils, Omega III's can be found in pastured animal products, like egg yolks and beef fat.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing all of your knowledge! I am reading and reading! :pop

Last night I ate a stir fry of sorts: ground beef, garlic scapes, and bok choy. I sauted the scapes (with stems) and ground beef in cold press olive oil and pure butter. Then added the chopped bok choy...ooooh it was so good! :drool

Can we talk a sec about olive oil? What I bought was organic, kosher first cold press extra virgin olive oil. What do you think? (If the answer is in the post that Wifezilla just posted this morning, forgive me, I have not read that yet.)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That is the best olive oil to use. The only type, IMO. But don't make olive oil the main fat in your diet, only a small part.

The bottom line is not to be afraid of saturated fats, as long as they come from a good, healthy source. And animal fats from ANY source are better than soy or canola or any other solvent-processed, genetically modified seed oil. The hype about the health benefits is just that, hype, to line the pockets of several industries.....agribiz giants, food giants, and big pharma, in particular.

Flax oil is far over-rated. Not necessarily bad for you, just not a good source to balance Omega III's in an unbalanced and typical diet.