Healthy Fats and Oils.......IMO!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
d I didn't even look at carbs, quiet frankly I didn't really care about them
Carbs = sugar. Same thing.

I just don't get why it's so difficult for you to come to terms with what so many have known for years.
"Known" as in based on a study that borders on fraud? Uhhh...ok! Whatever! :gig

When people make these discoveries the news doesn't come out because it doesn't help someone's wallet.
It really is all about money isn't it? I have friends approx the same age as me. As I cut out sugars from my diet, they kept eating pretty much the same old thing just cut fat and switched to whole grain bread and cereal from white. As I lost weight for the first time in decades, they gained weight. As I reverse my prediabetic symptoms, they progressed in to full-blown type 2 diabetes and got prescribed glucophage and other pills. As my blood pressure went down, theirs went up and their doctors put them on blood pressure pills while telling them to avoid salt. As my blood profile improved, theirs got worse following the doctor recommended diet plan. As my arthritis symptoms have subsided, theirs got worse.

How much does a doctor make telling people to cut out sugars? None. How much does a doctor make off of an overweight 40-something year old woman with high blood pressure, diabetes, high triglycerides, gout, arthritis, and a thyroid issue? How much does a pharmaceutical company make on someone who will spend the next 20-40 years taking their pills every day?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
There is a difference between complex carbs (read raw food carbs) and simple sugars, and therein lies the reason why we should stick to whole foods (all veggies, fruits, etc.) have carbs, therefore sugar, but they don't have the same effects as eating a sugar cube. Moderation in everything is the key, not eliminating one food source completely.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
How much does a doctor make telling people to cut out sugars? None. How much does a doctor make off of an overweight 40-something year old woman with high blood pressure, diabetes, high triglycerides, gout, arthritis, and a thyroid issue? How much does a pharmaceutical company make on someone who will spend the next 20-40 years taking their pills every day?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
When my diabetic mother with heart disease was eating healthy (when = we both have slipped too much processed junk back into our diets, and healthy = basically food as close to natural state as possible, including light cooking) her doctor asked what she was doing that was leveling out her blood sugar and other tests. She told him and he agreed she was on the right track. It came up in subsequent conversations that she asked him why doctors didn't prescribe a diet like this and try to keep people off the pills. His answer was classic. He said that people won't follow a diet that takes work. They want a pill to fix the problem quick (or IMO mask the problem) and let them continue to be lazy. So it looks like some doctors who know how to fix the problems through diet just don't want the hard work of convincing the patient to change their ways. Prescribing a pill is so much easier time wise and money wise.

ETA: my mom also took multiple nutrition classes at hospitals on how a diabetic should eat low-fat, artificial sugar, low carb, etc. diet, and her health only slowly got worse on that type of diet that was no fun to stick to anyway.

My mom is in her mid-70s. She came of age when the whole revolution in processed foods came onto the market. She raised her family using these shortcuts that seemed to make her life easier as a full-time working mother. She kept gardening and canning to some extent, but it was mainly for carrying on a family tradition and to have a few things that tasted like her mom made.

She has struggled with my interest in things like raw milk (didn't pasteurizing protect us from disease? -- disease that none of grandpa's milk cows ever had :) ). She looks at my interest in making cheese, sauerkraut, bread, raising chickens for eggs and meat, etc. as just extra work when those can be bought at low prices. She still struggles to see how what is made at home can be so much healthier when you control all the ingredients.

It is work and I do have trouble articulating to my family why I find it all to be worthwhile -- especially when I don't have the right balance between my work and health going at the moment. :(

Back to the fats subject: WZ, can you post how you make your ghee? I've heard of it, but I've never had it or made it.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
As a reader of this thread, I would like to thank everyone for being polite and respectful of other's opinions. It makes this a very pleasant debate to read.

ETA I kinda repeated myself.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Moderation in everything is the key
That key doesn't fit in my lock.

My key is to keep your carbs below 50g a day. That is the equivalent of 1/4 cup of sugar. Get what carbs you do eat from veggies, dairy and some berries. If you really feel the need to get more sugar per day, knock yourself out, but don't act surprised if you have high triglycerides, high blood pressure or start to put on weight when you get older....especially if you are over 40.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
There is a difference between complex carbs (read raw food carbs) and simple sugars, and therein lies the reason why we should stick to whole foods (all veggies, fruits, etc.) have carbs, therefore sugar, but they don't have the same effects as eating a sugar cube. Moderation in everything is the key, not eliminating one food source completely.
Moderation is the key when eating a balanced diet and that is an absolute in my book!

I lost 66 lbs. eating good food and junk food in moderation. My "numbers" are perfect....so far so good!! :)

I would never eliminate a food source, just like everyone, the thing to do is find better choices in that food group to eat.

This is not rocket science at all...HA HA HA

BUT like the other poster said, most people can't do it, stick to a whole foods type healthy diet...and that is a big downfall with people. Humans succumb and always will.....

and I stand by saying that high fat diets can easily attribute to heart disease.....and with this thread being so crazy, it could also be the STRESS of reading it thrown in to help that heart disease along....LOL-LOL-LOL :lol:

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I haven't posted it before. I can tell you what I had today...

Morning: Coffee with heavy cream
Snack: 1 piece of string cheese
Lunch: Roasted chicken with skin (2 wings and part of a thigh)
Snack: 85% cocoa chocolate (2 squares). Some fresh strawberries
Dinner: most likely a salad with balsamic and olive oil and fresh herbs. I have a lot of lettuce, spinach and other greens popping up in the garden right now.

Yesterday I had coffee with heavy cream, some yogurt, chicken and broccoli soup (home made), and a salad with home made bleu cheese dressing and some grilled chicken.

Chicken was on sale so we are eating a lot of chicken this week :D
Thank you for posting this. I had been getting the impression in this thread that all you were consuming was very fatty meat, loads of oil, butter, and mayo and very little else. Your menu doesn't reflect that at all.
I know that you have ducks and was expecting to see eggs listed.
I am reading Sally Fallon's comprehensive book while following this thread to further understand this concept.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
reinbeau said:
Moderation is the key when eating a balanced diet and that is an absolute in my book!

I lost 66 lbs. eating good food and junk food in moderation. My "numbers" are perfect....so far so good!! :)

I would never eliminate a food source, just like everyone, the thing to do is find better choices in that food group to eat.

This is not rocket science at all...HA HA HA

BUT like the other poster said, most people can't do it, stick to a whole foods type healthy diet...and that is a big downfall with people. Humans succumb and always will.....

and I stand by saying that high fat diets can easily attribute to heart disease.....and with this thread being so crazy, it could also be the STRESS of reading it thrown in to help that heart disease along....LOL-LOL-LOL :lol:
My numbers are wonderful, too, and I eat veggies, fruits, whole grains, meats of all kinds (except processed!), fish, butter, milk, honey.....my diet works just fine for my body.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I know that you have ducks and was expecting to see eggs listed.
I had 2 duck eggs with cheese for breakfast this morning. I only have one layer for the next few months so I have to give her time to catch up :D

I had been getting the impression in this thread that all you were consuming was very fatty meat, loads of oil, butter, and mayo and very little else. Your menu doesn't reflect that at all.
My menu varies A LOT. Sometimes that IS what I eat (well, except for the mayo. Commercial mayo is all soy oil these days. BLECK!). Sometimes I crave salad. Sometimes I cook a little white meat chicken and then drown it in butter. Sometimes I want cantaloupe.

A good snack I love is sliced cucumbers with homemade bleu cheese dressing (yummm)

I eat a greater variety of food now than I ever did before I gave up sugar/grains/starches. My calories per day from fat are between 60 and 70%