Heart Health / Diet Question(s) - Update Pg 7

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Shoot.....just thought.....lard! Gotta make one with lard! *runs to the kitchen, the goats will just have to wait...*

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
A healthy choice today. I had a small lunch and was still hungry. I was going to snack on chips and sour cream (yum!!) and decided to exercise first. My goal for this month is 7 minutes per day. After 9 minutes of jogging around the house, I sliced up and apple and cheese. I'll wait a 1/2 hour and see if I am still hungry.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I ended up snacking way too much yesterday afternoon. I exercised again. And before bed I had a heart-to-heart with my mirror. O.M.G.

:th :sick

I am probably 10# over what I thought I was. I have never been this fat. Make my 40# to lose into 50# to lose. Yuck.

I exercised for 7 minutes this morning (7 minutes per day is my goal for this month). And then started my 7 measured cups of water per day habit earlier in the morning to hopefully ward off the early afternoon hungries.

My mom is coming over today with a snack. I asked her to bring something healthy. Yuck. :sick

I am going to find out if my heart likes being rid of all my chubbiness. ;)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I've been thinking more about preserving/creating heart health and I've been thinking a lot more about the suggestion to exercise.

My 7-minute per day goal stands, but I've been doing a lot more. One reason I've seen a lot for being limited in exercise and/or weight loss is time. Heck, I've got time! Bonus for being a good example for my son.

Here are my diet changes:

Breakfast: 1/2 c. oatmeal (no sugar), 1 egg, 50 calories worth of fruit. It's a quick filling breakfast.

Snack: Cut back from 3 oz cheese to 1 oz cheese

General: Replace milk with water, swap most rice/potato/pasta for salad

These changes are easy for me and cut out.... (wait for it).... 950 - 1150 calories per day!! It cuts out enough that an extra snack or treat is guilt-free, an usually necessary.

For exercise:

My 7 minute per day goal stands. I've ended up doing a lot more, mostly walking and jogging. Some jump rope, dancing/rocking out to music. I don't know what an average time I've been exercising is, but the last 2 days were over 2 hours. That's not too hard - I take a long walk in the morning and another in the evening. I have to take a day off and let my muscles repair - maybe tomorrow.

I'm doing just enough to keep my heart rate up and improve my general health. If I push too far, too fast I have exercise-induced asthma.

ETA: My brain cooties like exercise, I am symptom free for the first time since November. :weee

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:clap

I so need to set an exercise goal as well... I was doing so good of doing about 30 mins a day... I got sick a few weeks back and never did get back into a routine and I've noticed my brain cooties acting up... I love the smaller goal... because even if sick or tired it still sounds doable instead of the daunting 30mins I did before...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
That calorie level is awfully low. Low calorie intake can damage your metabolism.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Snack: Cut back from 3 oz cheese to 1 oz cheese

General: Replace milk with water
That's cutting out a lot of healthy fats. Not sure that'll help the brain cooties.

My brain cooties are quieter when I exercise too ;)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I ha e to agree with wifey and Abi.....those good fats will help you to feel more satiated (hate that word, can't say ir nor spell it) SATISFIED which will keep the snacky feeling away.

Your breakfast combo of fruit/ eggs and oatmeal could be fine tuned to a couple-3 eggs with veggies followed by a handful of blueberries which would be a much better choice. It would carry you thru to lunch with no problem, has plenty of good fats for your brain cooties and will carry you thru a work out.

To some degree you need to forget about calories and focus on cutting out grains and nearly all forms of sugar, with the exception of a very small amount of fruit. Very small!

Have you looked at BBHs thread gluten and grain free eating? She and her DD are having tremendous succes.

Hugs :hugs. It is good to hear that you are feeling good about the exercise! :woot

Ps....just remembered that you have a fat intake issue from meds, not sure if that just canceled out my advice, sorry sweetie.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Dace said:
Ps....just remembered that you have a fat intake issue from meds, not sure if that just canceled out my advice, sorry sweetie.
I was wondering that too after I posted LOL!!

But I'd still think not LOWERING fats would be okay. It's not raising, right?

:)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Raising fats is OK until bloodwork. Oh whoops - that is this Friday. Not much time to go up on fats.

On days when I need more calories the easiest snack is cheese. At any given moment I have about 5 pounds of cheese in the fridge. And a few more in the freezer!

Me loves cheez. :gig

I added up how much walking/jogging I've done... 35.6 miles in the last 7 days. It adds up fast when you're not really paying attention. No walking today - my body needs a break TODAY. I can still do upper body weights. ;)

I pushing myself a little bit harder now because I don't want to do my typical thing which is to go all out for 3 - 5 days and then quit. I'm on day 9 now. It takes average of 66 days to form an exercise habit. I have a long ways to go.

Once I settle in I can tweak diet, but for right now I'm going to stick these changes. I'm curious what my bloodwork will show. I don't think the last week of improved eating will show by Friday. And I don't know how long until the next bloodwork after that.