Hello from WA

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
:welcome

I started with chickens, then we got goats. Next came ducks and now finally rabbits. Believe it or not, the garden is the one we are working on next. Usually people do that one first. But with all this poo, what else can I do? :lol:

HappyHomestead

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to next year's garden, when I can incorporate all that chicken manure. Your garden is going to be fabulous!

Olympic Peninsula :)

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We did rabbits. Safely confined in cages, what harm can a little rabbit do? We got 5... Good white meat. Kevin had had rabbit before, liked it, and agreed to do the butchering.

Then ducks. We needed a red meat option. Muscovies. 16 of them (some ducks and drakes for breeding, and a few extra drakes for eating now). They were fun and very useful. And tasty. Kevin was hooked on Muscovies. And he felt just about done.

But I needed eggs. So we found some laying Bantams - fit easier in our small space, and I could digest Bantam eggs but not full sized chicken eggs (really). By this point he was getting a little punchy over the mention of more animals.

Milk was an absolute necessity, and goats were the only logical choice. Kevin felt a little railroaded by then, but honestly I'd told him right from the start that we needed goats! We got three, two in milk, one preggers.

We sat on that much for about 8 months. Now,when I mention getting more animals, he chimes in, and discusses needs and possibilities.

He takes care of the rabbits and poultry - always wearing gloves - and generally likes doing so. My teens take care of the goats (I did, but cannot now due to pregnancy issues).

This weekend our kids are all going out for a three day event, and Kevin and I will be milking the goats. His first shot at it. I wonder if he'll miss his gloves... :)

chriswasan

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, another from Washington, total newbie to these forums. I belong to a couple of others and while doing a web search for preserving meat without canning (like in oil or some other old way) I found these forums. Right down my alley! While I'm a newbie to this group I'm not particularly new to being more self sufficient...or at least trying. We lost our big freezer today and it's full of three goats, 15 gallons of goats milk and lots of rabbit, trout and salmon. And other things I haven't canned or dehydrated. *sigh* I'm going to have a full next few days.

We've been at the trying to be more self sufficient for going on 4 years or so now. In a serious way anyway. The years are starting to blend together LOL

We started out with chickens and garden as well. (though garden, puh, been doing that one forever, maybe not as successful every year LOL, but trying for 25 plus years - never mind, I get to babbling) Then moved on to including rabbits. The rabbitry is usually running 50-100 plus at full production. Then yes, we made the inevitable move to goats (OMG are THEY a learning handful! WOW) and we also decided we need to do something productive with all this poo, like quickly. :lol:

So we got into vermicomposting (composting worms, different that earthworms for those who are not familiar) and we now have about 2000 lbs or so of worm castings. Probably 600 plus pounds of worms. They adore rabbit and goat poo ;)

Considered bees, still sort of entertaining the idea but our hands are sort of ... full. Hubby still has a job at the local prison so it's a bit tough to keep up on all of it. Almost saturation point. Currently standing at 14 Goats, 70 rabbits, 30 chickens and the above worms. And a fairly good sized garden, though behind in growth because we had too doggone much rain. I live out near Forks WA. Lots of rain. Like, lots. Not quite as much as HI though :lol:

I also have 4 German shepherds (used to breed them) and a Chihuhua (hilarity ensues) and a grumpy troll mutt of a dog of unknown origin. Chiweenie grump or some mix.

I also homeschool. We are never bored. In fact, I'd kind of like to be bored I think. I sort of miss those days! LOL

Great to "meet and greet" you and I look forward to all sorts of fun shared bits of wisdom and guidance. Still learning the hard way which I guess that means I'm still learning and not dead yet. Probably a good thing :D

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
:welcome

I have worms as well and for the life of me I cant get them right. I dont think they are doing to swell. Im starting monster compost pile in the unused chicken run and Im gonna dump them in there when I clean out from under my rabbit hutches.

chriswasan

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
That would be an excellent habitat for them. What have you been doing that doesn't seem to be working? I noticed under animals you have that you state 2 worm bins. What sort of nesting do they have and what are you feeding them? We have bins, tires and just plain huge compost piles and everyone is just going bananas.

I do know they do not do well with real acidy type stuff. If they are under my rabbit cages they all move away from the urine, though can handle it after a time. Same with chicken poo. We don't put onions or citrus on ours either. I've read some who do the citrus, but I've read many others that say no, no, no. So we opted for the no :D -- But anyway, it may be something along those lines.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I have two bins in rubbermaid containers and I dont know seems they arent to active. :hu I need to check em again.......

chriswasan

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, check them, dig around and see what you have (gently of course lol) and then go out and get some rabbit poo for them right away. Actually, take them outside if they are inside and then give them some poo. The poo is already full of the microbes they love so they can start chowing down right away. Stick them over in the shade somewhere (make sure there is some ventilation) and perhaps even water them a little. A couple of splashes from a water can with small holes will do the trick. Uh...unless you have city flouridated water, then give them clean filtered water. But just enough to keep them a little moist. If they are a little slow right now, that should pick em up and get em going again.