Help me change my style! Bought a couple things!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Ok, this may seem really weird to most of you, but I will explain as best I can :lol:
For well over 10 years, I have covered my head full time. That will not change, just the style.
For a little longer then that, I have worn only dresses!
And for the record, all of this is of my own doing, and had nothing to do with my father or my husband, like so many tend to think when they see these kinds of styles.

I have run the gamut of Plain Anabaptist to modern Fundie, but I am so sick of living in jumpers. I have lots of skirt and top combos, but I hate the whole riding up that occurs with that style.

I am leaning towards shirt and swing dresses and flared jeans together. Mainly cause I have no desire to give up skirts, but, I need a better way of doing it :D

So advise me all you fashionable ladies!

What would you pair together?

Oh yeah. I will be shopping at thrift stores too!

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When I was younger, about 10-15 years ago I made a lot of my own clothes, mostly skirts and simple tops. During the winter I would always wear blue jeans under my skirt to keep warm, and I liked the look. I am not what anyone may call fashionable, never have been, but it's functional, if nothing else, because of all the pockets. :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Please correct me if I am wrong, but did you post the "best meal ever" thread with photos? ... ?? My sister is jewish and covers her head except for at home. She found a website with creative ways to wear scarves.

I love the look of a skirt over flared pants, but I've never been brave enough to try away from home.

Personally, I would move towards 2 and 3 piece outfits that you can layer. A simple top, flared jeans and a long cardigan that flows like a dress. They're in style right now, but they're classic. There's the cardi-wrap which is so NOT my style, but it is amazingly versatile. Wear over flared pants or a skirt. So many ways to wear it!

As far as riding up skirts, I'm guessing the waist is higher. Maybe try a pencil skirt that sits on your hips. It won't ride up, the look is classic and flatters every figure. Pair with ... anything except the pants underneat.

There is absolutely a place for every lady to wear a dress. An empire-waist A-line dress flatters every figure and is easy to pair with a bolero or cardigan.

Put a strong vote for a bolero, a cardigan, and a one-button blazer modest, sexy on every age woman. The blazer is particularly flattering on a little-too-curvy woman. (I will never part with mine!)

And because you are a practical woman, I fully recommend aprons. Shed your cardigan or outer layer, put on your apron and you are ready to tackle the homestead. :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Here is an example of a woman wearing an v-neck (modest) empire waist dress with a variety of blazers, cardis, etc. She wears heels in all the photos. I have a comfy ballet flats (in style last summer/fall and should be in thrift stores by now) that I wear with a dressier outfit at home or around town. I *can* wear it with heels later for something special.

http://whatiwore2day.blogspot.com/2008/04/empire-waisted.html

Cardiwraps sell for $50 - $60, but I found instructions to make your own, along with several ways to wear one. :)

http://www.taunton.com/besewstylish/media/CardiWrap.pdf

WhiteMountainsRanch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I need help changing my style too! I hate wearing jeans and tshirts every day! I want skirts!

Actually I would love to see pictures as I cannot visualize what you guys are talking about. :)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
WhiteMountainsRanch said:
I need help changing my style too! I hate wearing jeans and tshirts every day! I want skirts!

Actually I would love to see pictures as I cannot visualize what you guys are talking about. :)
Best I can describe what I want is the style of the modern Muslim woman, who wears flared pants and a shirt dress over that. The skirt reaches the knees or so.
I will see what I can find.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Please correct me if I am wrong, but did you post the "best meal ever" thread with photos? ... ?? My sister is jewish and covers her head except for at home. She found a website with creative ways to wear scarves.

I love the look of a skirt over flared pants, but I've never been brave enough to try away from home.

Personally, I would move towards 2 and 3 piece outfits that you can layer. A simple top, flared jeans and a long cardigan that flows like a dress. They're in style right now, but they're classic. There's the cardi-wrap which is so NOT my style, but it is amazingly versatile. Wear over flared pants or a skirt. So many ways to wear it!

As far as riding up skirts, I'm guessing the waist is higher. Maybe try a pencil skirt that sits on your hips. It won't ride up, the look is classic and flatters every figure. Pair with ... anything except the pants underneat.

There is absolutely a place for every lady to wear a dress. An empire-waist A-line dress flatters every figure and is easy to pair with a bolero or cardigan.

Put a strong vote for a bolero, a cardigan, and a one-button blazer modest, sexy on every age woman. The blazer is particularly flattering on a little-too-curvy woman. (I will never part with mine!)

And because you are a practical woman, I fully recommend aprons. Shed your cardigan or outer layer, put on your apron and you are ready to tackle the homestead. :)
I think that was my thread...link? Its been too long!

Jewish style? Been down that road for several years. I just sold most of my Tichels last month, cause we have a problem in Alaska that they look too much like the Russian Old Believers style.

By riding up, I meant the shirts that are never long enough :rolleyes:
I have to add layers and then I have a mess of layers that do nto want to stay put, LOL!

Oh, and I should have added, I am not slim.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, maybe I'm not as hopelessly unfashionable as I thought ...

All I can contribute is that I have leggings and even long underwear that I wear under my skirts. My skirts are longer than what it sounds like you want to wear though so maybe that's not helpful after all. And I don't even know what to call them. My favorites are double layered (reversible!) of a light, comfy fabric that hang nicely with an elastic waist. They might be what you'd consider a narrowish a-line. Maybe VERY narrow and so not an a-line but they are not restrictive to move in, nor do they blow upwards. I usually wear a top I like that's seasonal, and either a long cardigan or my wrap that is kinda like the sweater shawl. I need new boots, but some years I stick with near-flat sandals made up of wide black cross cross straps.

Well, since I am not slender and my hair is very long, maybe I DO still look frumpy in it. But I definitely second the pants under a skirt especially in cold weather!

I hope you find what works for you. :)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
Wow, maybe I'm not as hopelessly unfashionable as I thought ...

All I can contribute is that I have leggings and even long underwear that I wear under my skirts. My skirts are longer than what it sounds like you want to wear though so maybe that's not helpful after all. And I don't even know what to call them. My favorites are double layered (reversible!) of a light, comfy fabric that hang nicely with an elastic waist. They might be what you'd consider a narrowish a-line. Maybe VERY narrow and so not an a-line but they are not restrictive to move in, nor do they blow upwards. I usually wear a top I like that's seasonal, and either a long cardigan or my wrap that is kinda like the sweater shawl. I need new boots, but some years I stick with near-flat sandals made up of wide black cross cross straps.

Well, since I am not slender and my hair is very long, maybe I DO still look frumpy in it. But I definitely second the pants under a skirt especially in cold weather!

I hope you find what works for you. :)
:D I wear wool longies under my full length skirts for about 6 months of the year!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have you seen pictures of how some Indian women dress? (I mean from India, not Native Americans.) I'm not talking about a sari; it's more like a long tunic with pants/leggings underneath.