HELP my 1st Pig

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Erm, I'm not sure tusks will be 'cool' as Mr Pork Chop grows older... especially if he develops any aggressive behavior, being an intact male.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My boar has grown tusks....yikes they are scary looking. Thankfully, they haven't started growing out of his mouth...he can still close his lips over them, lol. But, he's as laid back as they come. I was even able to pull his lips back to show his tusks to someone and he just stood there and let me. Love me some "big daddy."

However, I don't get complacent around him - I'm always watchful. First aggressive move by him and he's freezer fodder for sure!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My female potbelly had some big tusks going on. She had a whole arsenal of teeth. But she delicately took French fries from my fingers.

Cougars too? Ever hear one screaming around there? We had them in Polk county, where we moved from. I was camping on Lake Livingston once and a cougar got to screaming. Scared my poor dog to death.

With all the rural farms and ranches here, no reason to not believe cougars are in this area too. River bottoms are flood zones, so they are left wild.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My female potbelly had some big tusks going on. She had a whole arsenal of teeth. But she delicately took French fries from my fingers.

Cougars too? Ever hear one screaming around there? We had them in Polk county, where we moved from. I was camping on Lake Livingston once and a cougar got to screaming. Scared my poor dog to death.

With all the rural farms and ranches here, no reason to not believe cougars are in this area too. River bottoms are flood zones, so they are left wild.

I haven't heard any cougars yet - thankfully!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had one around us growing up too. Oh my gosh - that scream would make every hair on your body stand up, lol. Scared the bejeebus out of the critters too!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had one around us growing up too. Oh my gosh - that scream would make every hair on your body stand up, lol. Scared the bejeebus out of the critters too!

My son and I had one sniffing around our tent when he hiked in the Mark Twain National Forest. God placed fear in us for a reason and that lion sure knew how to manifest my fear :lol hidesight we shouldn't have set up camp where we did but it was getting dark so we really didn't have much choice in the matter.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Eek! We supposedly don't have them here... Well fish and game says we don't. But a lot of people have seen them.

What we do have is fishers. You ever hear one of them scream? Horrid noise. First time I heard one I wanted to call the police, I was sure someone was being murdered!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't even know what a fisher is? Unless it's a person with a long pole and a worm on the end, lol!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Eek! We supposedly don't have them here... Well fish and game says we don't. But a lot of people have seen them.

What we do have is fishers. You ever hear one of them scream? Horrid noise. First time I heard one I wanted to call the police, I was sure someone was being murdered!

I've not heard the term Fisher before but have heard the big weasel like animal be called a Fisher Cat. I've never heard one scream before though.

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hahaha fisher "cat", but it's not a cat. It's a big weasel basically. MEAN! Had one eat 4 ducks and 2 chickens at my house 2 winters ago. Not as dangerous as a mountain lion obviously, just that sound is horrid!