HELP my 1st Pig

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've never heard of banding a pig. We will cut them, but at a way younger age. DH has done that plenty. (lucky him?) I guess pot bellies might be easier to band than farm pigs but I've never checked out a pot belly's uh, placement?

Although not everyone agrees with castrating meat hogs, I do. Hope it goes alright for poor Mr. Pork Chop!

You can butcher pigs any size, it's just what you want out of them. We butcher full size hogs around 250.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Gosh, I missed a lot here.. So Miss Pork Chop turned out to be a Mr Chopper. Oops! LOL But good to know any way. The jury's still out on balls intact vs no balls when it comes to butchering. I've tried them all. No balls, missed one (DON'T get an idiot to castrate your pigs for you :rolleyes:), intact… No difference in the meat. What I have been told is that it's best to take care of them after the boar stood behind a sow. Since you don't know Mr Chopper's history, I'd err on caution here and since you have a nice neighbour offer to do the dirty work for you, get them taken out rather.

And I've said this before and I'll say it again: I am so glad the only creatures we have to worry about here are foxes and the odd mink. Goodness and people say Africa is wild!