HELP my 1st Pig

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ANYONE raising animals for food use should look at what they are raising. It is necessary to improve the breeds. Have you ever seen the picture of the Dorpers lined up eating, pictured from the rear? It's in some farm mags to advertise the quality of the carcass on them. Yes, it's normal...but, since you only have ONE -- you probably need to consider others and not scare Mr. Chopper to death! :lol:

As others have already said...happy & healthy tastes great.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
yesterday I threw a little 3'x4' treated lumber lean-to together that stands 3' 6" in the back and 26" in the front for Mr. Chopper. I wanted a steep roof to keep the chickens off of it. That part worked... It's funny to see chickens slide down off the roof. But Mr chopper didn't think much of it other than to use the 4x4 legs as a scratching post.

We are having a strong thunder storm rolling through. Guess where Mr. Chopper is? Standing under the lean-to. I guess he's smarter than I give him credit. He likes to sleep out in the open.

I am getting a little tired of him nosing my leg every time I go in the feed/water him. Everytime he has to push his nasty ass nose up against my leg right above my muck boots. I have no idea what that means but he needs to stop it.he got very short tusks starting to grow on both sides.of his.mouth. he's got about 8 to 10 weeks before he's going into the freezer.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah I think he's just saying hi. A lot of people think it's cute when their pigs do that. I don't let my pigs do it, I had one who would not stop and I hated it. A full size pig can bite off your leg, I prefer they keep their snouts to themselves!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
IMG_20171010_203144513.jpg
He's giving you piggy kisses! LOL

Piggy kisses hu? No thanks - I'll pass :( but he is gaining some weight now. Just rained and it's a black dirt mud hole out there.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah I think he's just saying hi. A lot of people think it's cute when their pigs do that. I don't let my pigs do it, I had one who would not stop and I hated it. A full size pig can bite off your leg, I prefer they keep their snouts to themselves!

He could snort to say hi and I would be cool with that.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pigs are actually VERY smart. Don't underestimate him.

Maybe he just wants some back scratches, getting your attention -- come on, you know you want to do it. :D