HELP my 1st Pig

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well now that I de-wormed Mr Chopper, he's starting to put on a little weight. He's also starting to develop some little jelly rolls. I don't think I could pick him up now.

Does that big belly mean -more- bacon?

IMG_20171016_170409893.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't slaughtered a Pot Belly. But I do believe that bigger belly means he's thriving on the good care he is receiving.

I see feeder pigs in your future......

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bigger belly either means more bacon, or fattier bacon! Lol

There is an older thread (pictures included) over in BYH about slaughtering a pot belly. It's the same as a full size pig, I mean it's a pig... But it would give you a better idea of what to expect. There's a lot more fat on most pot bellies!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I haven't slaughtered a Pot Belly. But I do believe that bigger belly means he's thriving on the good care he is receiving.

I see feeder pigs in your future......

He's a lot easier to care for than I thought raising a pig would be. Just make sure he's got a mud hole to lay in, some shadey areas and sunny areas, clean water and food in the morning and evening and that's about it... But I've not had any problems either other than the guy had worms which I believe was from someone not caring for him before they dumped him off.

I'm starting to slowly switch him over to fermented whole corn from fermented swine pellets. He's got until the first of December to grow and put on muscle (meat). We prefer cooking with lard so if he's fatty that's not so much of a bad thing for us. I believe it should make skinning a little easier with a nice fat layer in-between the meat and skin.

And your also right... I will be looking to purchase a few feeder hogs come spring time. I'm going to put up 25'x50' or so of livestock panels, and build a skid-able lean-to so I can move it every year in-between two 25'x50' spring/fall gardens. I really don't think I could buy better fertilizer than what a few hogs would produce in a season for the following years spring/fall garden.

I already typed to much...

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bigger belly either means more bacon, or fattier bacon! Lol

There is an older thread (pictures included) over in BYH about slaughtering a pot belly. It's the same as a full size pig, I mean it's a pig... But it would give you a better idea of what to expect. There's a lot more fat on most pot bellies!

We'll I just started to switch him over from 16% fermented swine pellets to fermented whole corn. He's got about 6 weeks until butcher. But I really wanted to see the guy start to put on some weight first that why I went with the bagged feed.

What is BYH? Remember I don't get out much :(

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If they have enough room they scatter it around, then it doesn't pile up and stink so bad. Plus I have dung beetles and they break up the manure.

Have I posted a link to the Hawg Hut we built?

Smuvers Farm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If they have enough room they scatter it around, then it doesn't pile up and stink so bad. Plus I have dung beetles and they break up the manure.

I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED to see the Hawg Hut!!!!!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

I went searching here for "Hawg Hut" clicked a link and ended up on BYH

https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/hawg-hut-or-goat-or-sheep-or-dhs-new-digs.32088/

I don't have any backyard herds but I think I'm gonna ask to become a BYH member anyways. Looks.like I could stand to learn lot over there also :)